• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tried Opa's Brauts this evening

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So they sell them at Central Market. I was really excited to try them based on what I'd heard about how good they are.

Even though it's 30 degrees here this evening, I put then on the Weber Kettle.

Taste? Eh.

So not buying them again. Quite disappointing in fact.

Never seen nor tried Opas Brats. What was it you didn’t like. Taste texture casing seasoning?were they raw Or precooked?

Most brats I’ve bought are really bland. Other brand Bratwurst Ive bought are boiled in beer butter onion stock etc then flash grilled- at times this process is reversed then eaten with a tortilla bread bun etc with mustard

As far as using Bratwurst as a regular grilled sausage to snack on , not what I do.

Opas Sausage—country blend green Chile etc are good imho

Now that I know Opas has a Bratwurst I’ll look for it and some German coarse mustard. Thanks for posting, I never knew they had a Bratwurst in their lineup

Last edited:
Never seen nor tried Opas Brats. What was it you didn’t like. Taste texture casing seasoning?were they raw Or precooked?

Most brats I’ve bought are really bland. Other brand Bratwurst Ive bought are boiled in beer butter onion stock etc then flash grilled- at times this process is reversed then eaten with a tortilla bread bun etc with mustard

As far as using Bratwurst as a regular grilled sausage to snack on , not what I do.

Opas Sausage—country blend green Chile etc are good imho

Now that I know Opas has a Bratwurst I’ll look for it and some German coarse mustard. Thanks for posting, I never knew they had a Bratwurst in their lineup

It was uncooked.

My initial first bite impression was that of thick, dense, and almost reminded me of a breakfast sausage. It just had a very different taste then I would expect from a regular Brat. I actually would take a Johnsonville uncooked beer brat over this any day.

The brats made from scratch at my local butcher are also superior and more traditional in taste and texture.

I hear ya. Thanks. Actually I think Johnsonville is pretty solid for my part of the world. Coarse texture- I like that. I’m not that fond of bologna texture in a brat nor smoked sausage. Some are better than others. It has its place, but I don’t seek it out.

Thanks for the review

Last edited:
I hear ya. Thanks. Actually I think Johnsonville is pretty solid for my part of the world. Coarse texture- I like that. I’m not that fond of bologna texture in a brat nor smoked sausage. Some are better than others. It has its place, but I don’t seek it out.

Thanks for the review

One of the best is the brand Kiolbasa. Their Beef sausage (I get at Central Market and sometimes Costco - NOT their organic version) is outstanding. I believe they are out of San Antonio or someplace like that.

I am in for the Brat discussion - I think I have Brat issues like I do Kebobs.
1. Costco here has stopped selling Brats late August. NO MO Brats.

You Wisconsin/ Chicago / Minnesota folks grasp this idea?
No, because WE all know - Brats are Football Food.

Last edited:
Just did an inventory
2# Conecuh
3# Opa’s @Beef-Hatch GC & Country Blend
6 links Kiolbasa Beef
6 links Slovacek Garlic Jack
3 Wagyu SRF hot dogs
1 # Keeters Raw German
3# Milberger Raw Red Chile German

So while I’m out of Bratwurst, my Sausage Stash—well I’m good for a while

**tin of Original Spam :))

It was uncooked.

My initial first bite impression was that of thick, dense, and almost reminded me of a breakfast sausage. It just had a very different taste then I would expect from a regular Brat. I actually would take a Johnsonville uncooked beer brat over this any day.

Did you get a weisswurst instead? Germans will refer to weisswurst as bratwurst.

Confirmed with the wife it said Brats on the package. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it not knowing what it was.

Keep in mind it wasn't bad per se. It clearly was quality ingredients. It just was a taste that was unexpected.

Did you get a weisswurst instead? Germans will refer to weisswurst as bratwurst.
I think that is a delicate veal sausage that is not to be missed - find them in Amish Markets.

It is much lighter in color and don't over cook them - delicious.

Confirmed with the wife it said Brats on the package. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it not knowing what it was.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is what's on the package may not align with what you thought you were buying.

Did you get something like this? This is also a "bratwurst".

La7VDFOl.jpg

Yeah, but what I'm saying is what's on the package may not align with what you thought you were buying.

Did you get something like this? This is also a "bratwurst".

La7VDFOl.jpg

It was darker than that - more grey in color. Could it be darker and still be what you are suggesting?

No, it'd be something different. Weisswurst translated is "white sausage". Not sure what ya got then. :)

I've got a package of their Country Blend Sausages I'm going to through on the grill tomorrow and try.

Good point, many do not realize just how generic the name "Bratwurst" really is. We have been conditioned to believe that Bratwurst in the US is a single specific type of sausage. Translated into English it simply means chopped meat (Brat) Sausage (wurst). There is also a correlation with Brat and Braten which means to roast.

With the name Opa's, which is the German word for "Granddad" I would assume they are probably not using a "generic" brat recipe of the US, but maybe leaning toward a traditional German version of bratwurst.

Many of us in the US have only had exposure to the more popular Americanized version of "brats" as we call them. They are great sausages, but when we become confronted with different types of actual German Style Bratwurst, we are unable to understand the many differences, in texture, spices, types of meat, as well as different diameters and sizes. They just don't fit our version of what we envision Bratwurst to be. The same holds true with the generic Polish word for sausage; Kielbasa.

There are many different types of bratwurst from different regions in Germany. German cooking sites list over 40 different varieties of German Bratwurst. Some made from a meat slurry like our hot dogs, while others are made from an extremely coarse ground meat.

Fränkische Bratwurst
Coburger Bratwurst
Kulmbacher Bratwurst
Nürnberger Bratwurst
Würzburger Bratwurst
Winzerbratwurst
Thüringer Rostbratwurst
Nordhessische Bratwurst
Rote Wurst

Yet the generic term "Bratwurst" in Germany also includes;
Blood sausage
Bockwurst
Braadworst
Currywurst
Regensburger Wurst
Frankfurter Würstchen
Knackwurst
Knockwurst
Leberkäse
Teawurst
Weisswurst
Wienerwurst
Wollwurst

Even in Germany what we call Hot dogs, and Kielbasa are considered Bratwurst.

One of the main issues is that some varieties are meant to be grilled, some are meant to be pan fried, others are meant to be oven roasted, while some are only meant to be boiled. Then there are the specialty brats like Coburger which is meant to be roasted over burning pinecones, and Teawurst which is slowly simmered in tea. Not cooking them in the style that they are meant to be cooked in, will result in a different taste then they were designed.

While I will eat Johnsonville Bratwurst, I'll take a traditional German Sausage from our German butcher over the generic brats available at the grocery store any day.

Good point, many do not realize just how generic the name "Bratwurst" really is. We have been conditioned to believe that Bratwurst in the US is a single specific type of sausage. Translated into English it simply means chopped meat (Brat) Sausage (wurst). There is also a correlation with Brat and Braten which means to roast.

With the name Opa's, which is the German word for "Granddad" I would assume they are probably not using a "generic" brat recipe of the US, but maybe leaning toward a traditional German version of bratwurst.

Many of us in the US have only had exposure to the more popular Americanized version of "brats" as we call them. They are great sausages, but when we become confronted with different types of actual German Style Bratwurst, we are unable to understand the many differences, in texture, spices, types of meat, as well as different diameters and sizes. They just don't fit our version of what we envision Bratwurst to be. The same holds true with the generic Polish word for sausage; Kielbasa.

There are many different types of bratwurst from different regions in Germany. German cooking sites list over 40 different varieties of German Bratwurst. Some made from a meat slurry like our hot dogs, while others are made from an extremely coarse ground meat.

Fränkische Bratwurst
Coburger Bratwurst
Kulmbacher Bratwurst
Nürnberger Bratwurst
Würzburger Bratwurst
Winzerbratwurst
Thüringer Rostbratwurst
Nordhessische Bratwurst
Rote Wurst

Yet the generic term "Bratwurst" in Germany also includes;
Blood sausage
Bockwurst
Braadworst
Currywurst
Regensburger Wurst
Frankfurter Würstchen
Knackwurst
Knockwurst
Leberkäse
Teawurst
Weisswurst
Wienerwurst
Wollwurst

Even in Germany what we call Hot dogs, and Kielbasa are considered Bratwurst.

One of the main issues is that some varieties are meant to be grilled, some are meant to be pan fried, others are meant to be oven roasted, while some are only meant to be boiled. Then there are the specialty brats like Coburger which is meant to be roasted over burning pinecones, and Teawurst which is slowly simmered in tea. Not cooking them in the style that they are meant to be cooked in, will result in a different taste then they were designed.

While I will eat Johnsonville Bratwurst, I'll take a traditional German Sausage from our German butcher over the generic brats available at the grocery store any day.

Great info.

Having been to Germany, and having eaten Brats there, I agree they are different than what we have here.

Having said that, typically the more "real" brats I've eaten here that I've either bought from our local german butcher, or similar, they all taste to me to be from a similar family of taste. Though certainly not identical.

These Opa's brats to me were completely different than anything I've tasted before. I'm not saying they are wrong or bad, just not what I would have expected nor pleasing to my taste.

ETA: Here is a link to what I bought. Any thoughts on it? https://www.opassmokedmeats.com/shop/opas-premium-cooked-bratwurst-links

Back