MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Maintaining Temps

My home cooker is a Brinkmann cimmeron offset. i just read the firebricks post below (or above depending on responses), and it made me think about how hard it is for me to maintain with out a lot of attention.

I mainly used lump coal and a stick or two as needed as the cook moves along. I figure my fire box is too small for one of those maze type coal trays. I want to try some fire bricks.

Any other suggestions?

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I added some to my pit in December. I have them in the bottom of the firebox and the smoke chamber. I do think they make a difference in getting back to temp after having the smoke chamber door open. I didn't notice that much of a difference in fuel use or air intake. If I was limited on the number I was adding I would definitely do the smoke chamber first.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

On a smaller smoker pizza stones or unglazed terra cota tiles do the same thing. I think they are more valubale as valleys and peaks when opening the cooker or refilling charcoal. You want get great extension on you cook time.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Kung Fu-
I have a Cimmaron also, and am currently designing some serious mods to turn it into a reverse flow cooker. I have a terrible hot spot at the fire box, and nearly an 80* temp difference on the two sides of the smoke box. So far my design will serve as a baffle and a water pan, or possibly as a platform for fire bricks. When I have the time, my welder buddy has the time, and I have some $$ to buy supplies, I will get this done, and post pics on the site so y'all can see how I made the mods. Good thing I read this thread, because I'm thinking fire bricks may work better than a water pan. (I actually entertained the idea of my baffle being hollow and filled with oil or water to even out the heat).
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm thinking of adding some firebricks also, but in doing so I'll have to raise the coal grate and if I use a basket, trim it to fit.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote