$220 Brisket

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I go out on a limb and donate a fully cooked/smoked brisket as an item in my son's pre-school fund-raising auction and the thing goes for $220.00!:shock:

Guess we'll be ordering up a Wagu for this one.

I'll certainly post pics. Looks like I'll be cooking it fathers day weekend.

I vote no Wagyu, go prime or choice CAB. I actually prefer a real nice CAB to wagyu.

Isn't it nice to donate something like this and get a good price for it. My chocolate truffles brought in $200 in an auction. I tried to donate ribs for another auction, but, they wanted me to donate dessert.

A good CAB will be just as good and more forgiving than a Waygu. Have fun with it! :thumb:

Sounds like I'll go CAB...thanks for the input folks! I was stoked and surprised at the demand for the brisket.

Lando...where can I get a CAB around here in the Bay Area?

I have to pay for the brisket so school will get full $220.

I am pretty sure you can get them at Restaurant Depot regularly. You also might talk to Molly Stone's, I am pretty sure they can set you up as well. the Raley's/Bel Air/Nob Hill markets use to have them as well.

I did my first Wagu last night and I am trying a locally grown and certified angus beef brisket next weekend... I'm excited to see if there is a difference. I have been cooking choice-to-prime with great results, but I can't help wondering what all the talk is about...

You might consider asking your supplier for a donation of the brisket for a good cause.
I would call around and see who might help out.
jon

You might consider asking your supplier for a donation of the brisket for a good cause.
I would call around and see who might help out.
jon

This is a good idea. I'll ask...I should have asked before he auction so the organization donating the meat would get more exposure but I can certainly send an email out to all those that were at the auction and let them know who donated the meat.

I did my first Wagu last night and I am trying a locally grown and certified angus beef brisket next weekend... I'm excited to see if there is a difference. I have been cooking choice-to-prime with great results, but I can't help wondering what all the talk is about...

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I am pretty sure you can get them at Restaurant Depot regularly. You also might talk to Molly Stone's, I am pretty sure they can set you up as well. the Raley's/Bel Air/Nob Hill markets use to have them as well.

Thanks Lando. If Molly Stone has them that would be great as there are a few real close. I think there's a Bel Air here in Corte Madera too...if not I can check with one in the city. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!

Have anyone ever read up on what the regulation for being a cab, they pretty lenient.

No. Certified Angus Beef can come from any cattle that are black. They don't have to be pure Angus to have the premium for black hide nor to be deemed "CAB" in the supermarket. Here are some breeds that will get the CAB black-hide premium because they have infused black into their genetics to make them "purebred" which is quite false if you study the breeds and their origins long enough:

Simmental
Gelbvieh
Maine-Anjou
Charolais (surprisingly)
Limousin
Salers

Out of curiosity, how does this donation work? Someone already bid and won the brisket. Do you arrange to cook it when the winner is ready for it?

Just curious as I think this is a great donation.

Out of curiosity, how does this donation work? Someone already bid and won the brisket. Do you arrange to cook it when the winner is ready for it?

Not only a great donation but a great way to get the word (and taste) out there for those who want to do more than back yard.

Very cool! If you have capacity why not do 2 and give the winner the better of the two. You could eat the other.

The way it has worked for me usually is that I agree to cook a brisket, ribs or (horror of horrors) a cake for a person on an agreed upon date. Said food is cooked and delivered on agree upon date at agreed upon time.

I make it clear that it is not a professional cook, that there is no commercial kitchen or FDA approved facility involved and they are getting a 'pot luck' dish.

edit: I would definitely do what Scot said and do more than one.

Last edited:
Very cool! If you have capacity why not do 2 and give the winner the better of the two. You could eat the other.

Great idea. I think I can fit two in the UDS so this may be a good way to go.

The way it has worked for me usually is that I agree to cook a brisket, ribs or (horror of horrors) a cake for a person on an agreed upon date. Said food is cooked and delivered on agree upon date at agreed upon time.

I make it clear that it is not a professional cook, that there is no commercial kitchen or FDA approved facility involved and they are getting a 'pot luck' dish.

edit: I would definitely do what Scot said and do more than one.

This is exactly how the donation worked and the bidder already had a date in mind when he purchased the brisket so it worked out great.

choice packer, save wagyu for a good 1-1/2 inch ribye for you and the misses. So much fat renders out, the bidder would be dissapointed in his little brisket

Back