MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default WSM Fire Control

Did a little spring cleaning on the deck today. Moved all but the WSM and my new SS redhead performer into the garage. In doing so I mistakenly moved the old black kettle I used to put my charcoal starter in while its getting fired up as well. So being lazy and inventive I figured I'd but the starter on the lower grate of the WSM. Open it up and no bottom grate. So what to do?

I place the starter on top of the burnt drippings from my last cook I didn't clean out. Did I mention I'm lazy? So while the chimney is starting up I go inside to start prepping the meatloaf. About 15 minutes later I look out the kitchen window and see a foot of flames roaring out the top of the WSM. Hey that's something new!! I head out and realize that I just started my first grease fire. With my trusty weber glove I grabbed the chimney (half the handle is melted) and move it to safety but the fire is still going. Then I go through my mental checklist...

Water? Nah I heard that makes it worse.

Salt? Maybe because I heard that somewhere on the internet so it must be true.

Fire extinguisher? No way! Not in my smoker.

Then I just put the lid on and made sure the dampers were closed. Bam. It worked. So not only did I learn that I can put a fire out in the WSM but now I have a reason to scrub it out as well for the spring/summer season.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???

Last edited by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle; 03-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Mispelling
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

thanks for posting. good reminder for safety.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep. Gonna do some spring smoker cleaning now myself.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote