MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default Help/Tips - Pulled Pork for 40 ???

Hey Brethren,

Looking for help/tips on making pulled pork for a crowd. Next weekend I'm making pulled pork for 40. It will be for a homeless shelter. I'm excited to help. I've never made anything more than a few butts for friends. This is a bit different. But here are the highlights...

1. I'm using a 18.5 WSM.
2. I need to make enough for 40 guys, how much should I make (pre-cook weight)?
3. I need to deliver it (cold) on Monday @ 6 P.M. but I'm out of town the three days before that. So, I'm looking to make it 6-7 days beforehand and keep it in the fridge. Thoughts? Do I keep it "whole" and shred it on that Monday...or...do shred and store in the fridge?

Recipe wise I'm probably going with an inject/rub/wrap similar to Chris Lilly's paths, unless anyone has any suggestions based on what works better for quantity.

THANKS for your help Brethren!

Welcome to the BBQ Revival!

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I can't answer the 6-7 days part. If you keep it whole, you'd need to reheat it to be able to shred it.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

I was thinking that. Do you think I could/should cook it to a "lower" temp than I would normally pull it off the smoker?...and then...reheat in oven to pull?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd cook it, pull it, put it in 1 gallon zip locks, [maybe freeze it,
then thaw it 2 days prior] and tell them to heat it up in 190f or so water before serving. It will definitely last more than a week in your cold fridge.
I'd cook about 24 pounds pre- weight.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
AUswimKC
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : AUswimKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
I'd cook it, pull it, put it in 1 gallon zip locks, [maybe freeze it,
then thaw it 2 days prior] and tell them to heat it up in 190f or so water before serving. It will definitely last more than a week in your cold fridge.
I'd cook about 24 pounds pre- weight.

That 18” has multiple racks? I’d get four 8-9lbs butts. Two butts per rack. Butt is cheap. Might as well fill that WSM up
AUswimKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Mandreyka
Knows what a fatty is.

30 lbs uncooked will be plenty, do them up ahead of time, shred and vacuum seal/freeze.

Just drop them off defrosted
Mandreyka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

For guys figure 8 ounces cooked, which will be generous, and figure 50% yield, so you need 1 lb. raw per person. You could go with 6 ounces cooked, 12 ounces raw and probably be fine.

As far as cooking in advance, I would pull it and vacuum seal, and then it can easily be reheated in hot water.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Another for pulling and freezing. I like to error on the side of caution and go with Ron's 1lb raw per person.