It's only 16 years late...

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Howdy folks!

Apologies for the much-delayed intro...It just crossed my mind that I've never done it.

Despite being a long-time member that just recently started posting, I'm not a bot or a long-dormant alter-ego or anything. Just a backyard dude that cooks for family, friends, and dogs. As mentioned in another post, the pandemic and lack of other social interaction is probably what has inspired me to start posting.

Over the years, I've been mostly a drive-by browser of the forums. When I became a member, I had just bought a sheet metal vertical cabinet smoker from Walmart or someplace, and was looking for advice after a couple of disappointing cooks. Just reading posts here helped me out immensely and I had a couple good cooks, finally. I'm pretty sure membership was required to see pics. Anyway, life got crazy, that box sat unused on the back porch, and I came here less. I continued using other grills that I've been familiar with forever (gas, kettle) and just cooking. In 2012 when I started looking for a pellet, posts by folks here definitely influenced my decision on the RT-680 (and I'm still very grateful for that).

I can't say how much I appreciate the vast amount of experience and knowledge y'all share, and I regret not being a more active participant over the years. It's a great community y'all have built. While I've grilled most of my life, I've only taken a pic of one cook. It's not the only one that ever looked good, it's just not something I think about doing. I'll try to contribute if/where I can.

A fellow member of the Class of '04! Howdy and we're having a Brethren bash at Belton Lake in October (info in my signature).

We usually have a annual Spring Bash at Lake Ray Roberts but this year's one got Covided out.

We love to see cook pics, so don't be shy. Hope to see you around regularly.

Welcome, even though you have been here longer than me. It's amazing what you can learn here. I still don't post a lot, but I do a little and pay the membership mainly to pay back for what I have learned. Take care and smoke on

frognot - I live right next to Lake Lewisville, and Ray Roberts is still my favorite lake in the area. Not sure if I can make the bash, but I'm going to try to make it work. We usually hit a water dog trial at Belton, but it got 2020'd.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Back