MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

Default Tough flat, oops I did it again... Help

Happy Friday all,

I tried a hot and fast packer today. Injected with beef broth and some seasoning. Put on the Akorn fat up over a water pan over the pizza stone at a steady 335 maverick probed temp.
Loosely foiled at at 160 and went until probe tender. Point was utter butter flat was soft too but not as soft was temping around 200 or so.
Pulled it let it rest I foiled for fifteen minutes then wrapped and rested for an hour then served.
Point was great but the flat was still dry and cardboardy. It seemed ready when I pulled it. Any suggestions on what I did wrong ?

Thanks
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ignore the point and ONLY focus on the flats tenderness.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Thespanishgrill

I did, I pulled it when the flat was probe tender and then about an hour later it was dried out and firm. When I pulled I thought it was going to be right on.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Ignore the point and ONLY focus on the flats tenderness.
That's what I was going to say.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Bludawg

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill View Post
Happy Friday all,

I tried a hot and fast packer today. Injected with beef broth and some seasoning. Put on the Akorn fat up over a water pan over the pizza stone at a steady 335 maverick probed temp.
Loosely foiled at at 160 and went until probe tender. Point was utter butter flat was soft too but not as soft was temping around 200 or so.
Pulled it let it rest I foiled for fifteen minutes then wrapped and rested for an hour then served.
Point was great but the flat was still dry and cardboardy. It seemed ready when I pulled it. Any suggestions on what I did wrong ?

Thanks
Try it fat down.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

If you sliced the flat and it didn't fall apart, but seemed dry and/or tough, it was UNDERCOOKED!

It's a very common thing for people to miss the suggestions to ignore the point and worry about probe tender in thickest part of the flat only. So yeah, ignore the point, it will take care of its self.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
SmittyJonz

Overcooked crumbles - it not crumbling but dry it was still a hair under cooked. Brisket are Hard - small window of "Done".

Next a Time when you think it's done go 30 minutes more. And slightly overcooked and crumbling tastes pretty darn good still - Way better than undercooked does.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
landarc

You have to not temp at all. And the probe needs to slide in with almost no push at all, it should be to where you think 'is that all it takes?'

Otherwise, you seem fine. In a hot-n-fast cook, 200°F is almost certainly under-done. But, learn to ignore the internal temperature.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, it was under done.

Stop injecting it. There is no need for it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Agree with all of the above. One thing that hasn't been brought up is brisket quality. I personally never had any luck cooking choice. Cooked about 10, Last few where good, but not great. Bought a select when it went on sale and was hooked! Now my Costco had prime and it's just as good it seems (only like $.30/lb at Costco so it's a no brainer). Just something to consider. .. I'm now also leaving more toward"bigger brisket=bigger cow=more fat" mentality vs "smaller=more tender" the last 15lb'er I cooked had tooons of fat, more than a waygu it seemed like based on the saturated bp and about 2 cups of drippings when I pulled it from the smoker. I met Franklin at his place when we went to eat there and asked him if he basted or spritz as I had never seen butcher paper saturated with so much fat In my cooking. .. it is the meat quality.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Thespanishgrill

This particular brisket was a select due to I went to 4 smart and final and that was all they had.
When I picked this one it felt very pliable with decent fat.
I will try Fat side down in the egg next time but I thought the idea was to keep the fat aimed at the heat and I might be wrong but it seems the higher to dome the hotter it gets?
Any suggestions on where else to get packers in the Los Angeles area

Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Thespanishgrill

The flat wasn't crumbling but it was probe tender then after it rested an hour it tightened up which I've not seen before, what caused that reaction?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill View Post
The flat wasn't crumbling but it was probe tender then after it rested an hour it tightened up which I've not seen before, what caused that reaction?
Your feel of probe tender isn't tender enough. Next brisket you do, allow it to get to what you think is probe tender and let it cook for another 30mins-1hour and probe it again. Repeat this process until you nail the brisket.

It took me 3 briskets to finally get this feel. On the 4th one I finally nailed it and after that, my briskets have been spot on for tenderness each and every time.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post
Agree with all of the above. One thing that hasn't been brought up is brisket quality. I personally never had any luck cooking choice. Cooked about 10, Last few where good, but not great. Bought a select when it went on sale and was hooked! Now my Costco had prime and it's just as good it seems (only like $.30/lb at Costco so it's a no brainer). Just something to consider. .. I'm now also leaving more toward"bigger brisket=bigger cow=more fat" mentality vs "smaller=more tender" the last 15lb'er I cooked had tooons of fat, more than a waygu it seemed like based on the saturated bp and about 2 cups of drippings when I pulled it from the smoker. I met Franklin at his place when we went to eat there and asked him if he basted or spritz as I had never seen butcher paper saturated with so much fat In my cooking. .. it is the meat quality.
Could you have choice and select backwards?