Pork butt didn't finish question

sewerrat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, yesterday I smoked a butt and it got up to 190 before I had to leave for an emergency. Pulled from the smoker, covered, and put in the fridge.

What is the best way to treat it today?
Its in the oven now and up to 125 . .should I take it all the way to 200/205? Pull it out now and slice?
Throw it away?

Thanks

I am not sure about temp when you are reheating a whole butt to finish cooking? I would wrap it up and cook until you can stick a fork in and turn it without too much resistance. Probably take a few hours.

It ought to be really good sliced or chopped if the IT hit 190*, we've been cooking quite a few that way for some events the last few years where people seem to prefer chopped to pulled and they get to tender much past that.

If you want pulled take it a little higher, you'll be fine either way so long as it wasn't held to long without refrigeration after the initial cook we smoke lots of butts and brisket the day before events and booking's in the catering business and bring them back to holding / serving temp in an Alto Sham.

It's DONE!

Just reheat it to 140F and give it a feel. It will probably pull very nicely.

It's DONE!

Just reheat it to 140F and give it a feel. It will probably pull very nicely.

Thanks. Was reading 160F when I read your post. Took it out, rested an hour and it pulled OK. Not the best butt I've ever made, but certainly salvagable

Back