MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #4831
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?
Whatever you're comfortable with, really. I got a brand new unlined drum and still drilled my intake holes and burnt it out with about two full armloads of oak. The wife and myself feel pretty confident about cooking in the drum now. She wants me to paint it pretty soon, but that's another matter entirely. :-)

Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #4832
dboxx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Photos and descriptions of my build.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dboxx13/...eat=directlink

As promised, here are photos of my build. I got a little excited during assembly and missed some shots of the hardware.

With the exception of the handle screws and the two 3/8-inch bolts for the temperature probes, everything is stainless.

I'll take some more photos as the day goes on and the pork cooks.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Dave
dboxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #4833
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

My first UDS cook, my first Pig Candy and my first fattie.

Figured I'd get out of hand so I started a dedicated thread for my pron.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77224

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #4834
rau916
Found some matches.

Default Hanging meat

Has anybody drilled holes in their UDS so that they can hang meat from rebar in their UDS? I have heard people recommend this so that you can fit more meat in one barrel.
rau916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #4835
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : WingNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?
I've used mineral oil drums in the past. Assuming it's totally clean inside right now (no mineral oil residue sitting in the bottom) just do a rinse out with tide+hot water, the do your build, and then do a seasoning burn before your first cook (spray PAM inside & let it get above about 425º). You should be good to go then, IMO.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #4836
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rau916 View Post
Has anybody drilled holes in their UDS so that they can hang meat from rebar in their UDS? I have heard people recommend this so that you can fit more meat in one barrel.
There was somebody in this thread who did just that. But you'll need to dramatically increase the height of the drum or you'll burn your meat.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #4837
d0od
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

New to the site, I was looking for info on a home made (cheap) bbq/smoker, my search led me to the UDS and then to this huge thread... I wasn't going to post till I finished it but it may take me another week to do that, I'm only on page 143.

I have acquired a drum and have all the materials. Using mostly this http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86 post by Norco Redneck I have made my basket and drilled my holes. Just need to get the drum clean, but there is a burn ban in effect so I am thinking about sand blasting the it so I can get this thing done. Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.
d0od is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #4838
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0od View Post
Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.
Yes, yes it is. :-) Norco's method will set you right. I followed it to the letter except in building the fire basket (wrapped expanded metal on the outside of a weber coal grate) and I haven't stuck any hardware on the intakes yet (using Bigmista's patented Bunched Up Foil methodology). Works pretty well.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #4839
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Question on computing COST of building my UDS. I just purchased an oxygen-acetylene welding system.

Does this count in my total, or can I split the cost amoung future UDS that I may or may not build?
No. Any tools used for the build, including the aforementioned torch set, a new SawZall, a Milwaukee drill, an HVLP painting system, a pressure washer, a sand blaster, a 250 amp Miller MIG welder, a lathe, and a Bridgeport milling machine are all things the average homeowner needs anyway, and should in no way be applied towards the price of the UDS.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #4840
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0od View Post

but there is a burn ban in effect so I am thinking about sand blasting the it so I can get this thing done. Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.
burn barrels are illegal in Washington so this did not happen
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #4841
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
burn barrels are illegal in Washington so this did not happen
Keep a pack of hotdogs or marshmallows handy It's a cooker then, you just have to eat one if the MAN shows up.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #4842
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the info there is still a very small amount left inside, I still have to cut the top off . Drilled the intakes already. then I'll do a burn and season.

Originally Posted by blackdog043
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #4843
rau916
Found some matches.

Default Charcoal/Wood Ratio

I am getting ready for my first cook on the new UDS. Any tips on the type of charcoal to use? How about the ratio of wood to charcoal? Best variety of wood for smoking?
rau916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #4844
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Easy to find charcoal that has surprising results is Stubb's. They have have it at Lowe's. Any hardwood all-natural briquet will do well. I'm not a fan of the kingsford products, but the competition variety will do in a pinch.

For wood, I use chunk hickory at about a 2:1 ratio briquets:chunks by volume in a nice even mixture.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged if things are tough controlling temps at first. These drums get way more stable after a couple cooks on them.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #4845
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

ok, wish I'd started about 200 pages ago making one but it was a lot of great info. Did read it all.

2 questions please. What is the best way to get the liner off of the lid to keep from warping the lid? Can you hit it with the weed burner or does it need to be wheeled off?

I am dreading the liner as I am old and fat! After a couple of burns, is it sand blasted off pretty easily?

Finally, I want my firebox to resemble the one where it's like a box with a square handle coming up the barrel. Clear as mud? I took copious notes but I forgot to write down where that build was. Any ideas where it's located? I looked back over it and I can't find the design. Anyone remember, so I don't have to go through each page again? It was closer to the front I think rather than end.

thanks for help
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker