MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
spritz with juice every 20 minutes after first hour is killing you. them ribs ain't cooking.

knock that nonsense off and cook some ribs, if you aren't happy, i'll give you a fool proof(don't drink with smokin hoggz the night before though)recipe.
Very much this.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i should add...foolproof, as in baseline. problem is, there are so many good cooks out there, baseline up or down can mean bottom half or top ten.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
spritz with juice every 20 minutes after first hour is killing you. them ribs ain't cooking.

knock that nonsense off and cook some ribs, if you aren't happy, i'll give you a fool proof(don't drink with smokin hoggz the night before though)recipe.
Ill take any input I can get.........I like fool proof

I have to work for the next 3 days but then I'm off for 4 straight and plan on cooking ribs the whole time to get my confidence up.
Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

It does take times and practice to get it consistent and even after cooking competitively for years I still screw up sometimes, especially under pressure. Try cooking on just one pit as another mentioned till you get it consistent enough for your liking.
ArnieTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

I'm definitely not afraid to put my time in........I cook ribs A LOT because I am struggling with them. I thought I had them nailed and went into my last contest pretty psyched about my chances.

Stunk. Middle of the pack.......bunch of 7's and even a 6 or two

Cooked 2 days before contest and had 2 out of 3 racks turn out awesome. Same routine at the show.............tough and dry.

Like I started the thread..........when I peel that foil, spread that sauce and slice the ribs I take a bite with my fingers crossed hoping they are good. That's not right.........my other food I expect to be good if I did my thing.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
dosvans
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Agree. No need to spritz every 20 minutes. I cooked spares unwrapped for two hours at 270 and I may spritz once after the first hour. Then I wrap with the usual stuff for about 1.5 hours, unwrap, sauce and put back on for another 45 minutes. I cook mine on a 22" WSM with just a foiled pan with no water and they usually come out at the right tenderness.
- 18.5" WSM
- Yoder YS640
- 22" Weber Kettle w/Smokenator
dosvans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Are you using a water pan in the Onyx or the board? I've used the Onyx before and got very good results using water and apple juice in the water pan. I think that would eliminate the need for the spritzing.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Might be a good idea to pick out an ideal rack of ribs, then take a picture of them raw, before you do anything with them. post the pic, with the brand and weight of the ribs. You many not be picking out good racks and could use some tips.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Try less rub and leaving it on for less time. If your rub has lot's of salt in it and you leave it on too long (2 hours), that will suck the moisture right out of your ribs.

Stop spritzing with juice, you are extending your cooking time. This is drying your ribs out on the surface and not cooking the meat/tenderizing and not rendering the fat. It sounds like you have moist environment cookers if you are using a water pan. Usually people who spritz are using stick burners where a lot of air is passing by the food. Your smokers are not passing air, you don't need to spritz.

What about a little more liquid in your foil pack? What about wrapping earlier? After 45 minutes in foil, start looking, feeling and checking with toothpick.

I think returning sauced ribs to the smoker for longer then 10 minutes causes a tough layer on your ribs. Just my opinion.

I think with ribs as long as you have a good recipe, just stay consistent and practice your timing until you get it right. BBQ is about watching and reacting to what you see, not a specific timeline. Every rack of ribs cooks slightly different. That's why it's challenging. You will get it! Good luck!

Eggspert
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

We have had similar problems, just not as bad, 10th last weekend, but I have come to the conclusion that our problem and it sounds like it might be yours is the quality of the ribs to start with. As my mom always said, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", no pun intended. If you start with poor quality ribs they will stay poor quality, and I think the quality has been declining lately for some reason.

We spritz or apply butter at 30 minute intervals. Dry may be the rub pulling the moisture out. Switch rubs for one cook and see if the dryness problem is cured.

Tough, just not cooked enough. Go ahead and overcook a slab (fall off bone) then back down cook time just a little. Fine line between fall off bone and undercooked.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Tough, just not cooked enough. Go ahead and overcook a slab (fall off bone) then back down cook time just a little. Fine line between fall off bone and undercooked.
Spot on advice.
I think returning sauced ribs to the smoker for longer then 10 minutes causes a tough layer on your ribs. Just my opinion.
Learned this after lots of trial and error.
Try cooking on just one pit as another mentioned till you get it consistent enough for your liking.
Again, spot on. Learn how to cook them on one pit, master it and stick with it.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I pull ribs at 196. Just like butts, at a certain temp, the pork will get tender.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I pull ribs at 196. Just like butts, at a certain temp, the pork will get tender.

Do you think your temp reading is accurate with such little meat and all the bone on both sides? I don't trust temp reading with ribs, I go by feel and toothpick personally. Whatever works for you!

Eggspert
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
Do you think your temp reading is accurate with such little meat and all the bone on both sides? I don't trust temp reading with ribs, I go by feel and toothpick personally. Whatever works for you!

Eggspert
We'll see this weekend !

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ View Post
Are you using a water pan in the Onyx or the board? I've used the Onyx before and got very good results using water and apple juice in the water pan. I think that would eliminate the need for the spritzing.
Water pan always. I think cutting down on the spritz will help because a lot of times when I go to spritz they are not even close to dry. I might be over doing it.