Who's gonna win KCBS TOY

DMDon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While I have GREAT respect for for Pellet Envy and ISS, I'm going to have to go with Iowa Smokey D's. My friendship with Darren goes back 25 years, since we were both freshman in college. At that time he fancied himself as a stud golfer. I know this year he even took a weekend off for his daughter's senior year homecoming.

Whoever wins, will have really earned it. Any chances there could be a tie with 2 or more teams?
Who do you think will win it?

Im not sure who will win but Im sure glad I will be there should be an awesome comp. for sure

It sure is fun watching and awaiting the BBQ battle these top teams have between them. Both are well desevered of the TOY but if I have to chose, I'd go with Iowas Smokey D's. Home town favorite, Iowa BBQ society member, mentor and friend.

Good luck Darren.

I will try to post videos from the contest on my site
There should be 3G in Tempe

I know Rod and Darren and have the utmost respect for both of them and am proud to call them friends. I hate to have to choose one. The race has been exciting, but Darren sure has a knack for flying into a contest, picking meat up on the way there, and winning while cooking on borrowed cookers. For that I would give him the edge.

One of my good friends will win it. I can guarantee you that!!!! ;)

I would find it funny if Clone wins TOY, but he can't do it in Iowa!!!!

All three are great cooks and any of them would deserve the win. If forced to choose I guess I would pick Iowa Smokey D's. That way I can say that we were beat by the TOY champ at Shannon this year :-D

I'm not sure that I can pick just one. Whoever it is, will be deserving! Best of luck to everyone competing!

One of my good friends will win it. I can guarantee you that!!!! ;)

I would find it funny if Clone wins TOY, but he can't do it in Iowa!!!!

Is that a jab? :wink: That will get him all fired up. What kills him in the Iowa contests is, he trys to do too much at the same time. Its not uncommon for him to make 2 or more trips from Des Moines to the contest and back, while vending, catering and competing all at the same time. Good thing Sherry is really the brains, I'll bet she could hold her own, if she did a comp without him.

What's the count on teams? Is it enough for Steve to make the trip?

What's the count on teams? Is it enough for Steve to make the trip?

32 confirmed, with several more expected. Steve needs 33 I believe...but he's listed as confirmed for the contest.

Well being an upeaster here I will throw my vote to ISS!!!. I have heard a lot of good things about Rod and Darren and look forward to meeting them some day. Steve and company, however, are quite familiar to me and are great people one and all. I'm crossing my fingers for them and wish them all the luck I can muster.

It will come down to a Brisket call :eek:

Good luck Steve, Rod, Darren

I'm just happy to have a front-row seat to watch it all go down in real time.

Good luck to all!

What if they all three tied for the GC and it came down to a coin flip? That would be interesting...:twisted:

Good luck to all three! I wouldn't be comfortable putting money down on any of them.

Is that a jab? :wink: That will get him all fired up. What kills him in the Iowa contests is, he trys to do too much at the same time. Its not uncommon for him to make 2 or more trips from Des Moines to the contest and back, while vending, catering and competing all at the same time. Good thing Sherry is really the brains, I'll bet she could hold her own, if she did a comp without him.

Let's face it. Clone owned Iowa for many years in a row. I just wish you guys would take him back!!! :twisted:

Being a midwest boy, I gotta cheer on a midwest team.
Darren is a Cyclone, Rod is a Jayhawk fan ... oh brother - being as I hate the Jayhawks, this leaves me no choice but to root for Darren.

Steve ... how do you feel about the Missouri Tigers?

Whatever way it turns out, this is just cool as heck the way it's all being settled this year! It's great they all are willing and able to go to Arizona to settle this (kinda like the gunfight at the OK Corral! :lol: ). If it was me (LMAO... as if!!), I'd be out of cash and no time to go to Arizona this weekend, as I'm sure a lot of others might have been.

While I've only actually officially met Darren once (at The Jack), I know his reputation and that he's very respected. I know Rod and Steve both. They are just as respected for what they do. So I'd never throw my hat in any direction but instead, wish everyone the best of luck in Arizona and thank you guys for making this so fun for all of us to watch! I hope it truly does come down to a brisket call. I hear Steve already has a brisket for Darren! At least he said so on BBQ Central! :lol:

Back