MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #10771
n0face
Found some matches.

Finally figured out my basket

Exhaust vent fitted

Grill mounted

I just need to find a bbq thermometer and I'm done I think.
n0face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #10772
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey guys, I am finishing up the paint on the new UDS (Pics to come soon), quick question: Does the lid (original to the drum) get hot enough to burn off the original paint? I was sanding the lid yesterday and it is not comming off as easy as I like and if its not going to get hot enough to burn the paint off then I'll leave it as it is and paint with high temp and be done with it...thanks for the help, ~Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #10773
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

It should be OK ... I using a lid with orig paint and all is fine.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #10774
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0face View Post
Finally figured out my basket

Exhaust vent fitted

Grill mounted

I just need to find a bbq thermometer and I'm done I think.
Did you build that INSIDE your house? I can hear my wife now if I tried such a thing.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #10775
n0face
Found some matches.

Yes I did, thick blanket of snow outside and I couldn't wait. The promise of barbecued feasts offset the misses complaints. Fired it up today, struggled to keep the temperature steady, I think I need a better thermometer and have a pop at n8mans lighting technique.
n0face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #10776
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

Default My new UDS

Thanks to all that has taken the time to contribute to this awesome Smoker!!!

Link to my build thread!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=158141

Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #10777
Knows what a fatty is.

Stupid question time... How do I know if the liner is all gone? I let the fire go all night and now the inside of the barrel and the lid are both black. Has a nice and shiny gloss to it.

Last edited by 068; 04-08-2013 at 09:50 AM..
068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #10778
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Finished my UDS and seasoned it yesterday. Thanks to all who have posted. Looking forward to using it this weekend. Hopefully will have time to post pics in the next few days!
Burnuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #10779
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Finished and seasoned my UDS yesterday! Looking forward to using it this weekend and hopefully will have time to post some pics soon.
Thanks to all who have posted before me. The advice, knowledge and pics were invaluable.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #10780
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Sorry, didn't realize I had already submitted that.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #10781
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 068 View Post
Stupid question time... How do I know if the liner is all gone? I let the fire go all night and now the inside of the barrel and the lid are both black. Has a nice and shiny gloss to it.
Give it a scrape with a wire brush, green weenie, steel wool, embry cloth, etc. You should be able to see some bare metal pretty easily. The other option is to try pressure washing it to see if it comes clean.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #10782
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Good looking drums! Not all are ugly that's for sure!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #10783
Burnuce
Found some matches.

Default Finished

Here is it. Seasoned it on Sunday. All that is left is to add handles and start using it. Thanks again to everyone for the advise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burning.jpg (18.5 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg basket.jpg (36.4 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg primed.jpg (28.3 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg painted.jpg (29.9 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg readytoseason.jpg (26.0 KB, 693 views)

Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #10784
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Reading through these posts makes me want to build another one :) Some things I would do differently:

1) Find a new drum. I spent more time and energy than its worth to burn, grind, and sand out a drum.
2) I would go with a single intake vent. There are a ton of designs out there with variations such as sliding vent covers or single large ball valves.
3) I used a Weber kettle lid and ended up bolting on a piece of 2" x 1/8" metal to the rim of the top to make a "secure" fit. That process was insanely long and since I didn't have the tools, also expensive. I would definitely pay someone to roll it for me.
4) Find a drum that is thicker gauge to hold the heat. My first drum was awesome. My current drum is too thin and lets the heat escape too much.
5) Wouldn't worry about paint so much. I spent a good amount of time priming, painting, and putting on a clear coat. Guess what happened? After the first smoke, it got dirty and nasty on the outside.

What would you guys do differently?

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #10785
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Reading through these posts makes me want to build another one :) Some things I would do differently:

1) Find a new drum. I spent more time and energy than its worth to burn, grind, and sand out a drum.
2) I would go with a single intake vent. There are a ton of designs out there with variations such as sliding vent covers or single large ball valves.
3) I used a Weber kettle lid and ended up bolting on a piece of 2" x 1/8" metal to the rim of the top to make a "secure" fit. That process was insanely long and since I didn't have the tools, also expensive. I would definitely pay someone to roll it for me.
4) Find a drum that is thicker gauge to hold the heat. My first drum was awesome. My current drum is too thin and lets the heat escape too much.
5) Wouldn't worry about paint so much. I spent a good amount of time priming, painting, and putting on a clear coat. Guess what happened? After the first smoke, it got dirty and nasty on the outside.

What would you guys do differently?
I would use a new closed end drum and cut the head off with a cutter (insuring a better fit, and eliminating Weber lid). Sacrifice is space for birds on top rack. But I would need to drill holes on the top.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker