I'm On A (Chuck) Roll....

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Mrs ~t~ has a pot luck thing at work on Friday and the 7-bone roast thread got me a'thinkin about doing some chuckies. I snuck off from work at 7:30 this morning and went to Sams. Look at this beauty. I'll probably cut it into 3 pieces and make 12 pounds for her deal (she wants the pepper beef recipe) and hold back the other 5 pounds for regular pulled beef over the weekend. This should work out good because it should take about 6 hours in the smoker after work, and then I can finish it off in the Nesco or even in the oven through the night.

Oh yeah, no problem keeping it cool in the back of the truck, it's 16° out today.

IMG_0480a.jpg

IMG_0483a.jpg

sounds real good

looks like you are having the same weather we are having

Even pron in the parking lot gotta love it!! Can't wait for the finished results.

Nice (lookin forward to the pics).........except for whatever that farkin stuff is on your truck..and the ground :shock::shock::eek:!

Even pron in the parking lot gotta love it!! Can't wait for the finished results.

My schedule is really balled up. I knew this is Valentines Day, so another iron in the fire. My client is running 12 hours behind on the equipment that is shipping tomorrow morning, which means I hurry up then wait. I started the cook early, then ran home at lunch (forgetting the camera) but will move the roasts into the Nesco with the braising liquid. I wanted more smoke time, but it is what it is..... It will go at 250° until pullable.

Nice (lookin forward to the pics).........except for whatever that farkin stuff is on your truck..and the ground :shock::shock::eek:!

Ey Thirdeye, our Sams parking lot looks nothing like yours. What the hell is all that white stuff and where did you find that F-250 encased in ice?

That's just water in another form. :mrgreen: I plug in the pickup at night so it stays cozy.

IMG_0326a.jpg

Wayne, is the one huge chuck roast?

Yeah, they are boneless and are really the section that they cut smaller chuck roasts from. They are like the pork butt of a steer, with all the different muscles. Sometimes Sam's have ones that go over 20 pounds. They are a good deal for barbecue or making burger too. During summer they were $1.50 a pound or so.

Thats just wrong. I want to live in a climate where I can fall out naked over-night and only worry about mosquito bites. You're talking death in that coldness.

Nice looking hunk of beef Thrideye!

Yeah, they are boneless and are really the section that they cut smaller chuck roasts from. They are like the pork butt of a steer, with all the different muscles. Sometimes Sam's have ones that go over 20 pounds. They are a good deal for barbecue or making burger too. During summer they were $1.50 a pound or so.

I typically see chuck rolls in the 30+lb range at Restaurant Depot. Gotta try and shove one of them on the WSM one of these days :mrgreen:

That's just water in another form. :mrgreen: I plug in the pickup at night so it stays cozy.

IMG_0326a.jpg

Can you edgamacate me on this gadget, Wayne?

I gotta stop by Sam's tomorrow... Need to hit CVS tonight (Farkn' Card Mod) on the way to pick up the GF and Mom for dinner...

Be sure and ask, usually they keep them in the walk-in.

IMG_0326a.jpg

Can you edgamacate me on this gadget, Wayne?

That's a plug leading to an engine block heater. When you order a truck, they install it at the factory. It keeps the oil warm to make starting easier. There is a second kind that circulates and heats the coolant in the radiator so you have almost instant heat when you are warming up your vehicle in the morning.

Here is the latest update on the cook. I got the roasts, I'm guessing 11 pounds or so, into my Nesco at 1:30. 3-1/2 hours later they have an internal of 190° and a great flavor. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I cut them about 4" thick. I have to back into work at 6:30 :mad: tonight, so I'm kind of glad I jumped through the hoops today to get it done for the pot luck. The remaining piece will get cooked the old fashioned way this weekend, foiling toward the end. I'm leaning toward the Kreutz beef rub.....

IMG_0507c.jpg

That cow looks great love the peppers. Thirdeye you really are a tease, telling us we will have to wait for the weekend to see the rest of the pron. LOL:lol:

Man I could sit down to a Sammie of that, it's Survivor night! Great job.

Don't lie that is a pellet burning trucK, hence the cord :biggrin:

Looks like a nice roast Wayne...be sure to put it in your fridge before it gets freezer burned outside...:eek: We missed out on the 7 bone here...my wife went back but they were all gone. No worries...I'll hit Costco on my way back from Swamprb's tomorrow. :p I'm thinkin' of trying Spicewine's Heffer Dust on it...have you used it on a chuckie yet?

What are you cooking it on? Is the Nesco for the potluck?

The Business Costco has them for $1.99 lb and they were all 15lbs or more, this has me wanting to fire up the drum!!

Back