Air Fryer

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
This may be better suited in our Healthy eating section, but i flipped a coin and qtalk won.

Does anyone here have and use an air fryer, or oiless fryer? If so, whats your take on it. Hows the stuff that comes out compared to the real deal? I just figured these were basically a spin on small electric convection ovens.

Basically looking for a better alternative to frying for some health reasons. chicken, shrimp, fish, taters, etc...

Any input?

I've eyed those a couple of times and interested in the responses.

I don't have one, but I watch all the QVC/HSN kitchen shows and if we used my camper more for camping and trips vs just competitions where we don't use the oven I would get one since it seems super quick and easy and heats up and cooks fast.

Talking with a few friends that do have them say it rocks for all that frozen pre ready food, but sucks if you batter fresh stuff yourself. Looks like it can cook meat ok and some of the sandwich stuff was interesting.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies as it folks here have to have them.

I have one, and like it for some things. You nailed it on the convection oven. That is exactly what they are. I think they do pretty good with fried potatoes. You have to toss them in a little oil, but with some practice, you can make some good fried potatoes. They cook frozen fries great. They work great for the pre breaded foods like chicken tenders, but if you purpose is health, that really isn't the way to go. I don't really care how they do with home breaded chicken. I just haven't been able to get the flour to brown well, even when spraying with oil. I think it would work better with a shake and bake style breading rather than a typical breading method. It does a pretty good job on unbreaded pork chops. It does a pretty great job, on burritos and egg rolls, even homemade. If you are wanting fried food with less fat, it is worth the money. Just don't expect to turn out food, like you would get from a real fryer.

we basically cook frozen food like pizza rolls, burritos, fries, tots, chicken tenders in ours. works great for these.

I have had some version of this guy for years

Secura Turbo Oven Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B0Y0HO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-PFFAbNNX356J

In fact back in the day I when I was getting started on my own I had the American Harvest Jet Stream Oven that I made almost all my meals on :wacko:

As others I now use it for reheating pizza or anything that needs a crisp (unlike microwave). It is also great for warming up some bread, a small store bought pie for dessert and to keep it on Q I have been known to use it to finish a small pork butt wrapped in foil :mrgreen:

Oh I also used to get some party wings, coat with some seasoned bread crumbs and grated parmesan and air fry :hungry: Good times.

I remember 20 years ago there was one of these gadgets on the late night infomercials, it must have flopped back then, and from the looks of it, they still cant get this type of Infared/convection cooking tool to make decent french fries or fried chicken.

Sad, really.

We just received one in the mail today. Once we use it, I'll try to forward some feedback.

I've had one for a couple of years. I went with the Philips analog model. It works well, but don't expect the results to be the same a deep fat frying. As already mentioned, it is basically a small convection oven.

We used one in our caravan for a few years.
we pre browned in a fry pan first.
not a big fan, mind you. whole chicken was awesome, perfect skin

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

Air fryer Rotisserie Chicken

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Air fryer Ribeye Steak & Tots

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Air fryer Triple Dipped Beer Batter Chicken

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

Air fryer Rotisserie Roast Beef

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

Air fryer Meat Loaf

I think they work pretty good with many types of food.

In the 90s I worked at a skating rink and we had a commercial one for the snack bar. It did a good job with frozen foods, chicken nuggets, fries, and such, but not so much with raw food.

We have a gas broiler/rotiserre and a salamander so the convection oven isnt really what we are looking for and aside from tater tots, we dont make the prepared fries or chicken tenders, etc.. Was hoping thios would be a decent alternative to make 'fried' chicken, shrimp, fish, veggies, etc from fresh ingredients... May just get one to give a try and then hand it off to my daughter.

any recommendations on one to get.. capacity to feed 4-5 is important.

Philips has been the Gold standard for some time, but I really like the looks of that nuwave, that was posted.

We have a gas broiler/rotiserre and a salamander so the convection oven isnt really what we are looking for and aside from tater tots, we dont make the prepared fries or chicken tenders, etc.. Was hoping thios would be a decent alternative to make 'fried' chicken, shrimp, fish, veggies, etc from fresh ingredients... May just get one to give a try and then hand it off to my daughter.

any recommendations on one to get.. capacity to feed 4-5 is important.

IMO get a decent fryer. Your trying to get blood out of stone. You wont be happy with one of these , unless your set on kidding yourself.