Quick Brisket Foil Question

STX Cue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all...

For the first time in more than 25 years of cooking barbecue I have foiled a brisket today. Being from Texas, I found the moniker "Texas Crutch" offensive and therefore refused to use foil for anything barbecue related. I don't need a crutch to make my food taste good. On the flip-side, when I picked up my new pit from Pitmaker, they said they foil after a couple of hours, so I thought I might try it out. The old dogs can try new tricks, I guess...even if learning is beyond us.

Back to the question...does the brisket return to the smoke like ribs in the 3-2-1 or do I just pull it when it is ready and cooler it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I've done both, but find it actually works better for me if I just take it straight to the cooler.

^^^I'm with outnumbered kinda, I use butcher paper when it's prob tender and rest it in a cooler for 2 hours. I don't like to use foil while cooking brisket cause it farks up the bark.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I wrap between 155*-165* depending on color then straight to the cooler when butter feel. Rest 3-4 hrs. I don't want any 'bark'. Not that there's anything wrong with bark but it's hard to get a good clean slice if there is to much.........DISCLAIMER........I only cook briskies for comps though.

With a Pitmaker smoker i would not even foil. Try it both ways but i think you'll be happier without.

Outstanding! :thumb:

Back