Trimming/Separating Brisket pre-smoke

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Competing Brethren,

I have yet another question before my first competition with a brisket turn in.

How many of you trim your briskets (in length...about turn in box size) BEFORE you smoke it? If you do, is it for a better smoke ring...or something else?

How about separating the point from flat beforehand? Again, if so, why?

Thanks for any help (and all previous advice).

Thanks, Steph...you're the second "expert" that's told me that.
Have you seen my other thread?

I don't trim it down (although I have considered it) or separate the point from the flat prior to cooking either.

Also, please note, 5th is the highest I have ever placed in brisket. :icon_blush:

We cut ours width wise to fit in the box, so there is bark all around the slice, except where the fat is...smoke ring to, although that's not supposed to be judged:wink:

Only advantage to separating point from flat I can think of is you can start the point earlier, and get both peices done closer to the same time. I usually just cambro the flat when it's ready, and leave the point on, either whole or cubed with some sauce/juice

I have considered pre trimming the brisket to fit the box but if you do this what size do you pre trim to? Exact box size or should I allow for shrinkage and if so how much should I allow?

I have considered pre trimming the brisket to fit the box but if you do this what size do you pre trim to? Exact box size or should I allow for shrinkage and if so how much should I allow?

I have trimmed to about 10" before with great results. With shrinkage, it nests inside the box perfectly. The disposable cutting boards sometimes have a ruler printed to help in trimming.

I have trimmed to about 10" before with great results. With shrinkage, it nests inside the box perfectly. The disposable cutting boards sometimes have a ruler printed to help in trimming.

Excellent thanks very much I will try that.

I trim to width and separate the point from the flat pre-cook.
I separate only because on an 18.5" WSM the flat is easier to fit on the grate if I do.
Honestly I have only cooked 4 comps, but I have walked in brisket at every one.

I trim to width and separate the point from the flat pre-cook.
I separate only because on an 18.5" WSM the flat is easier to fit on the grate if I do.
Honestly I have only cooked 4 comps, but I have walked in brisket at every one.

Walked to the cooler when you didn't hear your name??:boxing:

I kid, I kid!!:becky:

I trim just width wise, about ten + inches. The extra length helps keep moisture imo. Steve.

I trim my brisket so it looks exactly like what I want it to when it is done. I trim the width based on the grain so my slices come out in the exact shape when slicing against the grain. I find the flat doesn't shrink very much at all with my cooking methods.

also, an important note. trim the flat ALONG THE GRAIN to the width of the box.

that way, when you slice ACROSS THE GRAIN for turn in the width will have been properly guaged.

I trim my brisket so it looks exactly like what I want it to when it is done. I trim the width based on the grain so my slices come out in the exact shape when slicing against the grain. I find the flat doesn't shrink very much at all with my cooking methods.

don't know how i didn't see this. so, yup, what huminie said. :becky:

Back