Saturday smokin...

pigville porkers

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Little practice time this past weekend prepping for the upcoming contest in June. One butt some ribs and smoked mac n cheese :grin: All turned out great.

Last edited:
Good looking eats!

^+1
I like the pit design. If you have time for a couple of questions:
Are we looking at the firebox door just above the vents?
What kind of temps can you hit?
What kind of orange paint on the FB, or is it insulated?
Thanks

That is the firebox door, I used VHT Header paint that was supposed to be good for up to 2000, But it burned off anyway. The firebox is not insulated. So far the highest I have had it is 325 deg but I am sure it can go higher if need be. I have a Minion method style charcoal box inside of the pit that works awesome for controlling the heat and the amount of smoke.

Thanks. I used the same VHT and even simulated "curing" with a series of heat ups using a gas burner - the stuff is chit! I'm getting ready to soda blast mine and just use Rustoleum BBQ flat black. I hoped you had found a better solution: still like your pit design!

Thanks, For the price of the VHT paint I would of thought it would of lasted more than one cook. The pit works great, It also has a charcoal basket in the barrel that runs the length of the pit that holds on bag of charcoal. I added the firebox after I found it on CL for 300$ Really happy with it so far.

Back