MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
hominamad
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooking temps for beef tenderloin?

Want to try to tackle a beef tenderloin this weekend. Something I haven't tried yet. Was planning on coating with a layer of worchestshire and then liberally rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Going to smoke it - but not sure what temp I should use.

Can this cut take a higher cooking temp like, 350 or so - or should I keep it down to the 225-250 range? Was planning on cooking it to 125 or so and then giving it a sear at the end.

Thoughts?
hominamad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The key is the finish temp with a beef tenderloin. You can cook it at almost any temp as long as you take it off at the right temp.

If you cook it at 350 I think you'll find that you don't need to sear. You'll also have some meat at the ends and on the outside of the roast that are cooked more than the inside. Nothing wrong with that, but that's how it will cook at that temp. At lower temps you'll get a more even degree of doneness through out the roast.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Pretty much ditto on what Ron says.

Personally, I run them in the 275-300 range, then rest, and then sear for a few minutes on a REALLY hot grill.

275-300 range will give you a little more even cook.

Also if the "tail" end is thin you can wrap it on itself and tie it to even out the cooking a little more, or leave it if some want theirs more done than you would like it.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

I would agree with Ron about the cooking and temp. As for seasoning, since tenderloin is so porous, and the meat is so mild tasting, you might want to try a more subtle seasoning. I like to use a paste/marinade of olive oil, salt & pepper, crushed garlic, and a bit of finely chopped rosemary. Here's a tenderloin I did in a similar fashion:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=121923
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Last time I cooked one I banked my coals to one side of the grill and seared the tenderlion by turning it .25 way every 2 min until I went all the way around. Then I moved the tenderloin over to the cool side and stuck my temp probe in. I pulled it when the probe hit 128. I wrapped it and let it rest 30- 40 minutes.

It was on the med rare side and everyone ate it.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
hominamad

Thanks guys. I like "sear in rear" because it tends to avoid that well-done grayish "ring" around the edges of the meat. But I find that my coals don't really have enough energy left in them by that time to get a nice sear. What do you guys do about that problem?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Thanks guys. I like "sear in rear" because it tends to avoid that well-done grayish "ring" around the edges of the meat. But I find that my coals don't really have enough energy left in them by that time to get a nice sear. What do you guys do about that problem?
Well I just crank up one of my gas grills to do the sear.

Otherwise i would go with a fresh chimney a kettle.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Yes, that would be the reverse sear as you describe it, and the only way I cook large pieces of meat as it cooks much more evenly that the traditional way.

As to the coal problem you mention, what works for me is to dump about half a chimney starter of lit coals over about 2-3 times as many unlit coals, spread them evenly over the unlit coals, then add chunks of whatever smoking wood I'm in the mood for. This method easily can get me a solid 3 hours of cook time if I need it. In the case of a filet, the cook time is pretty short, probably around 30-45 mins, so at that point, the coals are at their hottest point for that final sear. I usually do the sear when the internal temp of the meat hits about 110 degrees.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
hominamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Yes, that would be the reverse sear as you describe it, and the only way I cook large pieces of meat as it cooks much more evenly that the traditional way.

As to the coal problem you mention, what works for me is to dump about half a chimney starter of lit coals over about 2-3 times as many unlit coals, spread them evenly over the unlit coals, then add chunks of whatever smoking wood I'm in the mood for. This method easily can get me a solid 3 hours of cook time if I need it. In the case of a filet, the cook time is pretty short, probably around 30-45 mins, so at that point, the coals are at their hottest point for that final sear. I usually do the sear when the internal temp of the meat hits about 110 degrees.
Great idea Moose. Definitely going to do that next time. Will be sure to post pics.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
TheHojo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ted

I always rub with a little olive oil - then just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder - smoke at 225-250 until an internal temp of 122 - then fire up the gasser and sear each side for a minute or so per side - let it rest for a few minutes and cut into medallions.
Johnson Smoker Compact Ultimate Patio - retired
Brinkmann Stillwater - retired
Old Smokey 18'' - retired[/FONT]
TheHojo is offline   Reply With Quote