Pork Shoulder

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used pork shoulder in competitions as opposed to butts or picnics?

What were your results?

Thanks,

Eric

I could be wrong but I believe this is a somewhat common practice. I thought Lily and Mixon used these almost exclusively... but I could be wrong.

MBA category is for whole shoulder. I have cooked them in KCBS also. Did as well as butts only but more meat than you need.

So, if the extra meat wasn't a problem and the price was right, you wouldn't have a problem using shoulder in a KCBS event?

Thanks,

Eric

Me, no. Not at all. It's just a butt and a picnic. Why would anyone have a problem?

My only concern with KCBS would be the increased cooking time, but in MBN you don't get a choice.

There may be more work involved since a whole shoulder will often, if not always, have skin all they up the fat side. It will also take up about twice as much space in your cooker, so be sure to account for that in addition to the extra time. It's almost worth having the butcher part it and trim the skin before you leave, but then it's out of the cryovac, which has it's own issues. Can you really get a shoulder for less than a butt?

dmp

It's 89 cents a pound at a local store. I'm pretty sure I can get it still cryovaced.

Is that good deal?

Eric

There is nothing wrong with a shoulder or a picnic, but there is more premium stuff to turn in on a butt.

So, if the extra meat wasn't a problem and the price was right, you wouldn't have a problem using shoulder in a KCBS event?

Thanks,

Eric
I would go for it. The cooking time isn't alot longer than a butt because the shoulder is longer but not thicker. I always trimmed some skin for more bark.

It's 89 cents a pound at a local store. I'm pretty sure I can get it still cryovaced.

Is that good deal?

Eric

That's an awesome price!!!

Also, at least on my smoker, they dont take any longer to cook than a good 9# butt. I think it has to do with it's no more dense, and is just elongated.

Back