MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
ncbbqfan
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Stoker Wireless Hookup?

I have ordered a Stoker for my cooker and was searching for a forum that could inform me on the best way to hook it up wirelessly via a wireless bridge to my laptop. I found one thread in here on that but could you give me the links to others because I know this is a subject that mush have been covered pretty well in here. I want to bone up before it gets here. Thanks.
ncbbqfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

wireless router with stoker software in your pc type in the ip address and boom you are in lol

Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

The best info on the subject is here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103

Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
ncbbqfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
The best info on the subject is here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103
Finney,

Are you everywhere? Thanks for the help.
ncbbqfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Finney's like a bad cold, always around and just never goes away

Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Apple airport express($99)! A little expensive but super small and now power cord, the prongs come right out of the unit.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm the "Super Chicken" of the BBQ world...

(if your old enough to remember Super Chicken..."He's everywhere, he's everywhere")

Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

Are these Mac compatible?

Can they be hooked up to any smoker? I have a Lang and a large BGE, but am having an 8x5 smoker redone...really want to know if I could use these on the Lang and the new smoker. Anybody know?
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmckay99 View Post
Are these Mac compatible?

Can they be hooked up to any smoker? I have a Lang and a large BGE, but am having an 8x5 smoker redone...really want to know if I could use these on the Lang and the new smoker. Anybody know?
Is "what" Mac compatible? The Stoker? Sure, it just serves up a webpage. You can even use your smartphone or ipod.

It'll work with almost any cooker. You just have to buy the correct blower adapter for each of your cookers.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
dwmckay99
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
Is "what" Mac compatible? The Stoker? Sure, it just serves up a webpage. You can even use your smartphone or ipod.

It'll work with almost any cooker. You just have to buy the correct blower adapter for each of your cookers.

Thanks...I was looking at the BBQ Guru device and it seemed that the software was PC-only (not interested in using BootCamp, etc.).

I have been wanting to get something like this and won't have the chance to see or use one until it actually arrives.
dwmckay99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

I went and got a Lynksys that was flashed with DD-WRT that I found on Craiglist. DD-WRT works much better than the Lynksys software that it comes with.

When at home, I configure it for bridge and it works weirlessly over my home network. When I'm at a competition, I configure it as an access point, and monitor with iPhone or Netbook.

I can save and restore these configurations so once done, I just reload which ever configuration I need, and whallah

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
SkySaw
Knows what a fatty is.

The Stoker works extremely well in my Mac setup. Connections to go wireless to my home network and the internet (my iphone, or any computer anywhere) were very easy and took minutes to set up.

While the Stoker can be monitored and controlled without StokerLog, this software is very handy for logging a cook. StokerLog is not Mac compatible. i thought that I would not bother trying to get StokerLof to work, and that I would be perfectly happy with the Stoker's control and Twitter support on the Stoker webpage, but I ended up really liking StokerLog. So, I use Parallels to get a Windows environment on my machine, and then run StokerLog. It's not necesary, but it does increase the utility of the Stoker.

Here's a thread I started when I first got my Stoker:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71866

This is an example of what StokerLog looks like:

And if you make a Twitter account (mine is Stoke_Me), you can get the Stoker to Tweet you at regular intervals with your pit/food temps:

Mark
SkySaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
mam734

I have a simple linksys wireless bridge I use to connect my Stoker wirelessly to my home network. The only I problem I have is with temperature. The linksys doesn't like to function in heat >85 or < 40.
Stokerlog is written and provide for free from a 3rd party, and is an additional piece of software that works with the Stoker to log your cooks. Stokerlog is PC only.
mam734 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I guess this^^^^ is what I was looking for, a read out on temps of my smoker.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
t6nsmit

It should be noted that the Apple Airport Express does not work with many wireless routers. In fact, if you want it to work with your Linksys wireless router you will have to purchase a third party firmware to hack your router to work properly. I'm still trying to get this to work because I too like the compact size of the Airport Express. I'll let you know if it works.
t6nsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Stoker, Wireless