MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Cold smoke/white smoke/blue smoke?

Ok the general consensuses is, white smoke bad, blue smoke good. When cold smoking you can only get white smoke, Achieving a thin blue you will need a lot of heat which does not go well with cold smoking. So what are your thoughts, is it good for cold smoking but not for low and slow. Or is there a way to do this without the white smoke?
Dave

Last edited by Mo-Dave; 06-26-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

For cold smoking, the idea is to either have a very small hot clean burning fire that does not heat up your smoker, or to have a hot clean burning fire somewhere else and have the smoke piped in which cools down in transit.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
For cold smoking, the idea is to either have a very small hot clean burning fire that does not heat up your smoker, or to have a hot clean burning fire somewhere else and have the smoke piped in which cools down in transit.
You may be right but mostly what we see are smokers that use sawdust or chips that produce white smoke and they are usually inside the smoker. some are not,. Should I assume these methods are wrong?

The flower pot and wood burner with chips puts out a good amount of smoke and I just this morning smoked a bunch of chocolate which so fare has turned out good, last week I smoked a ground pork roll cured with buckboard bacon, almonds and a bunch of cheese, all turned out very good. So I just don't know what is right.
Dave

Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
chad

Smoking and bbq are two different processes. Don't try to equate "rules" from one to the other.

Heavy smoke is the goal. The smoldering fire is classic whether it be in hole in the dirt floor of an old wooden smoke house or a soldering iron in a coffee can of sawdust. My electric smokehouse uses chips in a pan over a 1000w heating element. I can't so classic cold smoking but can stay around 180 for hours to get plenty of smoke on my sausages, jerky, or whatever.

I'm thinking of getting a "Smoke Pistol" to add to my cabinet so I can cold smoke, ie. under 90 degrees.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
bigabyte

Well, I have both a Smoke Pistol and a Smoke Daddy and use them to smoke cheeses with no problems. The smoke is white, but these are small units and I would not call the smoke thick at all. I had the same concerns as you when I first used them. I imagine if you let the smoke get really thick for a long period of time, then maybe some bad flavors would come through, but these units usually only run for a couple hours.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't buy the whole white is bad and blue is good concept. Take for instance, yesterday's contest. There was a down pour of rain through most of the night. Nobody could get a good thin blue smoke because of the weather. I think it has more to do with the wood you're using more than any thing. Being in apple country, stick burners use a lot of apple and other mild wood like maple here. You can run colder and be fine with the right wood. Not to mention, I have noticed that apple put's off a thicker smoke than other woods I use for some reason. But the food tastes fine. No bitterness to it at all. I agree that thin blue is the prime smoke for BBQ in most cases, but not all.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote