Catering Gig Question

NRA4Life

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My company is doing a summer BBQ lunch for about 125 of us employees. 2 meats (usually pulled pork & chicken), 3 sides (normally beans, coleslaw, potato salad), all the plasticware, plates, napkins, sauce, buns, serving utensils, etc... will be provided by the caterer EXCEPT desert and drinks. The employees are about 85% men. What would you charge? The "recreation committee" for our company got a quote from a local BBQ place, and I'll share that value after I see what you all would charge. I know you usually get what you pay for... Thanks for your help!

Question is.......why aren't you bidding it?

$13.95 PP.

Bbq Bubba, I bid it at $1350 since I work there and thought I was being pretty reasonable with the price. The place that got the job bid it at $865. I can't compete with that as a hobby BBQist (I'm not licensed, although I am insured from some festivals I get temp food permits and vend) and I don't know what kind of product this guy is going to serve at that price but I suspect it will be spelled T-U-R-D-S. We'll find out June 1st. Thanks for the inputs.

I'd cook some food and take it to the event and serve it to the recreation committee. Might get chosen next time....

$6.92 pp! I wouldn't eat it. I'd take a "sack lunch" that day.

what's wrong with pulled pork leg muscles, frozen dark quarter chicken, no name pork and beans with chefs pride bbq sauce, resers potato salad and wal mart slaw? At least they won't have to worry about people coming back for seconds.

what's wrong with pulled pork leg muscles, frozen dark quarter chicken, no name pork and beans with chefs pride bbq sauce, resers potato salad and wal mart slaw? At least they won't have to worry about people coming back for seconds.

That's still $9 PP. This looks is probably pork flavored Show horse, a chicken like meat based product, "prok" and beenz, XX BBQ Sauce, and day old Pot sal and CS from the Kmart snakc bar. Just sayin'...

I am doing almost the same cook next week for 110 and I quoted $13pp plus $200 set-up/delivery plus tax. Total was $1,755 and was told I could ask $14pp since that is what their other guy charges. I said no thanks, I want your business all year and I cook on site and don't just drop it off. They made full payment two weeks in advance.

Will they be giving out the Shrek Toys?
mcdonalds-year-old-burger.jpg

I suspect I'd rather eat a McD's happy meal that the imitation BBQ that they have decided to go with. It's always been about going with the cheapest food they can get with this "rec committee". Well, you get what you pay for and hopefully nobody will get sick.

Sounds like McD's McRib might be a better option than whatever it is the other guy is going to be cooking up. Seriously though he may be willing to break even or take a loss in order to garner more future business.

I took the advise "call in sick that day" and took the day off. I heard the food was "ok", but I also heard that some folks were sick to their stomach.

Back