• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Insurance???

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A friend asked if I would be interested in cooking for a "WET DOWN" in July.
The fire department in his town is celebrating the delivery of their new fire truck.

Here is my question.

If the fire department supplies all the food, from spices to meat, and I cook it on my cooker without charging them, do I still need to be insured?

If so, do the same rules apply to Church picnics and gathering of that sort?

I don't have insurance issues but I'm just not sure how this would work.

What to you guy think.

I'm thinking if something happens in regards to the food then the city/ town wont take the bullet for it. Get your own insurance to cover your backside. There are company's out there that do one day/ event insurance and it's not a bad price.

Unless you are an employee of a public agency, they cannot shield you from lawsuits. Further, many agencies now have policies requiring them to pass legal costs and defense onto their suppliers and contractors. I would not go without some insurance, event insurance is usually pretty reasonable.

Churches are a different thing, but, they are also notoriously poor in the eyes of the public. Again, if you are feeding the public, insurance is not a bad idea.

Being insured is always a good way to go.

That being said, if your cooking AT the fire dept. FOR the fire dept, you should be fine. If your looking to sell OR give food to the public, cover your arse.

Fact - if you cook it you can be sued. Period, end of discussion. Nobody cares if it was improper handling before, during or after cooking. Would you be totally liable, probably not but you'd still be liable.

I never cook without controlling the meat from pickup at a "qualified" store to serving. And yes insurance will partly protect you but if you allow others into the process your insurance won't cover them unless named as co-insured. Supply equipment and walk away or don't do it.

FYI - even if you have an LLC, if you cook the food your personal assets are still up for grabs.

Fact - if you cook it you can be sued. Period, end of discussion. Nobody cares if it was improper handling before, during or after cooking. Would you be totally liable, probably not but you'd still be liable.

I never cook without controlling the meat from pickup at a "qualified" store to serving. And yes insurance will partly protect you but if you allow others into the process your insurance won't cover them unless named as co-insured. Supply equipment and walk away or don't do it.

FYI - even if you have an LLC, if you cook the food your personal assets are still up for grabs.

Nice summary, we just got insurance for vending along with our serve-safe,
insurance for a year 475.00 and serve safe course 175.00 good for 5 years. A little piece of mind at vending events. priceless

Servsafe is actually a form of insurance. You can show that you know the rules and that you are a "safe" cook. It may influence a judge or jury depending on other factors in the case. Also some counties here in MI now require it and it is required in Indiana.

I had taken it because PA and NY and I believe NJ require it as well. It was actually a very good class. If anyone thinks they know it all about food safety, because they know the holding temps, they are setting themselves up for liability

Back