Pepper Jelly

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright brethren, I made some homemade pepper jelly for the first time, using habaneros as i like it hot.. After canning, jars have been sitting now for 4 days and it isn't get getting jelly like. I cracked a jar last night and it is thick soupy?? Any thoughts?? Also i just got the recipe from online, does any one have a favorite recipe they would like to share that works everytime?? I think i may not have boiled the mix long enough?? Needless to say; i already am planning on using the jelly i made, as it could be made into a wing sauce etc pretty easy. So all is not a loss, flavor is good

Did you use powdered gelatin as a thickener? That's all I got.
Would love to taste your jelly, I bet it's killer.

I used the sure-jell liquid pectin certo... It is dang good just runny so not really cracker or spread on toast material

Sounds like a good waffle/pancake syrup. Can't help but to suggest you look at a dozen or so jelly recipes, eventually a pattern will emerge.

I've made quite a bit of strawberry jams, depending on what sure-jell you used, there might not have been enough sugar in the recipe for it to set.

I believe they have 2 varieties of sure jell, one requires about 5 cups of sugar per package and they have a low sugar variant that requires 2 or so. I usually use the high sugar one, so not 100% sure on the lower sugar amount.

Even with the use of sure jell, I have never had it completely firm up like commercial jelly where you can cut a clean scoop out and it will hold its shape like jello will

Sounds PERFECT as a syrup for chicken and waffles!

Figure out how much sugar was required for the pectin. I believe you can reheat and liquify and try again with additional pectin?

A book I picked up in the UK for making jams/jellies/chutney recommends several tests for "the setting point" to include

"The Wrinkle Test:
Place a saucer or small plate in the refrigerator to chill. Take the preserving pan off the heat, drop a little jam onto the saucer and live to cool for about a minute. Gently push the jam with your finger; if the surface wrinkles, the jam has reached setting point. If it wrinkles only slightly, return the pan to the heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then test again."

I've done this with several jams throughout the years with good results.

I know the train's already left the station on this batch, but perhaps it can help a bit next time.

A book I picked up in the UK for making jams/jellies/chutney recommends several tests for "the setting point" to include

"The Wrinkle Test:
Place a saucer or small plate in the refrigerator to chill. Take the preserving pan off the heat, drop a little jam onto the saucer and live to cool for about a minute. Gently push the jam with your finger; if the surface wrinkles, the jam has reached setting point. If it wrinkles only slightly, return the pan to the heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then test again."

I've done this with several jams throughout the years with good results.

I know the train's already left the station on this batch, but perhaps it can help a bit next time.
Thanks. That is one of the things that really sets this place apart, very useful information that many of us didn't know and would fail over and over trying to figure out.

That is one of the things that really sets this place apart, very useful information that many of us didn't know and would fail over and over trying to figure out.

This. Happy I can perhaps be helpful.

Also, thanks for the inspiration, as this has me planning another batch of chili garlic ginger jam that we loved, but haven't made since about 2014.

I'll bet that pepper jelly is just killer over top of some cream cheese, then spread on crackers.

The Ball Blue Book for Canning is a good source to look in. And I do believe there is a way to re-cook the jelly. The wife has done that with a batch of apple that didn't set. The last pepper jelly I made did not jelly hard. It wasn't runny, but not hard set either. Still tasty.

What type of jelly did you make?? Did you use fresh pineapple by chance. As fresh pineapple creates an enzyme called bromelain it does not allow the gelatin to set. But canned pineapple does, as it is heat treated as part of the canning process which stops the enzyme. Just wondering.

Thanks I will try that "setting Point" test. No pineapple just basics peppers, sugar, vinager etc

One of my favorite is Craig's Texas Pepper Jelly, love his Pineapple habanero. So I tried to make it at home and thats how I learned about the fresh pineapple not setting. thought I would throw it out there.

One of my favorite is Craig's Texas Pepper Jelly, love his Pineapple habanero. So I tried to make it at home and thats how I learned about the fresh pineapple not setting. thought I would throw it out there.

It's a good tip, and pineapple works great with habs and super hots. I've made jellies with pineapple, trinidad scorpions, and yellow 7 pot, and the flavor is fantastic. A little on the hot side, too :shock:

I'd agree that the sure-jell maybe didn't set, could be volume or temperature issue before canning.

Back