Singed the crap out of my eyelashes but cooked a great steak

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
2.2# tomahawk w carne crosta (much appreciation to the Brethren for the fantastic recommendation) and additional S&P. Indirect about 235* took about 1:40 to get to 118*. Used Weber briqs and B&B lump.

NtK8vmZl.jpg

Took it off and added some EVOO since that is recommended w carne crosta.

yEa0eLjl.jpg

Got a raging fire going using the BBQ Dragon. I always thought this was a gadget I wouldn't use much, but it's come in handy--including getting the coals screaming hot before a sear.....So hot that the fire singed all my eyelashes and it looked like I'd got the tips of the lashes frosted. Not exactly the look I was going for. :icon_blush::shocked:

IZZfX5Kl.jpg

Pic of the sear stage after a flip at 45 seconds. I was using the cold grate technique. I'm finding I like that strategy a lot.

D90v9j3l.jpg

And done....

h7empqOl.jpg

Man, this steak was good.

LLM3TfCh.jpg

The kind you want to share with family and friends.

5ecdMbsl.jpg

Family loved it--except my boy said it was a little too wet inside the meat....I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks for lookin.

Singed eyelashes, no pics it didn't happen!

Ha! Made me laugh. Seriously, I thought about trying to get a pic of my beautifully highlighted lashes, but I know how this works: Tomorrow I'd be the latest meme floating around the internet with all kinds of creative captions to make me feel like a real winner.

fixed it for you.

Nice looking steak!

btw, what's the 'cold grate technique??"

Hey, you're right about that. Thanks.

Cold grate--nothing all that special but worth trying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U722RZahzzU

The advantage I'm getting from it is less flare-up and a more even sear of dark mahogany and less sooty char on my steak.

KANCO - this is brand new to me and makes perfect sense, thank you for sharing.
You actually could Reverse Sear using this method. Thanks!

(and I'll never forget throwing the match into my gas oven age 22 and poor to get a WHOOSH! and then off to the haircutter, smelled bad!)

KANCO - this is brand new to me and makes perfect sense, thank you for sharing.
You actually could Reverse Sear using this method. Thanks!

You're very welcome!

(and I'll never forget throwing the match into my gas oven age 22 and poor to get a WHOOSH! and then off to the haircutter, smelled bad!)

Ha! Guess my eyelashes don't feel too bad now!

Yes, please!

Sorry to hear about the eyelashes... that's a new one for me. I've lost plenty of arm hair, but eyelashes?

Yes, please!

Sorry to hear about the eyelashes... that's a new one for me. I've lost plenty of arm hair, but eyelashes?

Yep, and here’s the truth: it actually wasn’t just my lashes. Got my eyebrows, too. Here’s the kicker: I have my ANNUAL REVIEW with my boss tomorrow morning:shocked:
Fortunately, I’m looking a little more normal now—the dead stuff is starting to fall off. Sheesh. Grilling is hazardous.

Back