MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
CosmicCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Clermont Roll Call

I know Kevin is cookin'. Anyone else cookin', judgin', or just hangin' out?

Should be better than last year's "dust bowl" with the rain we gotten today!

Old 03-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Tim,
I wanted to Judge Clermont, but have a scheduling conflict
I think DF is in the same boat.

What do you wanna bet that the WoodHouse Gang is there?
Kevin pulled within one point for the FBA TOTY run at Crestview last weekend

Interesting delima for some of us--
Who do you "root for" (in public) when ya got several friends knocking heads?

All I can say for now is--
"Knock 'em dead Brethren Teams"!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't make it - having been gone the last few weekends I've got to do some work around here!

I was planning on being at Auburndale but we're moving my mother-in-law that weekend (she's in Lakeland - but no way I can spring loose for 4-5 hours to judge :D).

So, if I don't make Lake City it'll be Lake Alfred before I get back to a cook off.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
CosmicCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Who do you "root for" when ya got several friends knocking heads?
Tim,

You pose an interesting question. If you're not there as your team or workin' with someone you're there to win, otherwise just be happy for whoever wins and if it's a close friend that comes up on the short end, just be there.

The year's just started so anything can happen. There's alot of good cooks in the FBA. We hope most all are our friends and we do have a few close friends, so it isn't an issue of choosin' sides. It's more like help those that have helped you and do the best ya can for the rest.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCookin
Quote:
Who do you "root for" when ya got several friends knocking heads?
Tim,

You pose an interesting question. If you're not there as your team or workin' with someone you're there to win, otherwise just be happy for whoever wins and if it's a close friend that comes up on the short end, just be there.

The year's just started so anything can happen. There's alot of good cooks in the FBA. We hope most all are our friends and we do have a few close friends, so it isn't an issue of choosin' sides. It's more like help those that have helped you and do the best ya can for the rest.
Tim,
I'm in total agreement with you--my thoughts and attitude exactly!
"Great Tims think alike"

My post was not carefully worded--I was "Pondering" the Public "Go-get-ums" and other comments we post here on the Forum.
I certainly don't want to leave anyone out when "rooting for them", because they are all great!
Also, a poorly thought out post can accidently SLAM or insult a team if I/WE am not careful with wording, even though nothing was meant by it.
Probably "diplomacy overdone" on my part, but that is the way I was raised

Now, in private, my favorite team is, and I root for.....nevermind

TIM

Old 03-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
CosmicCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
My post was not carefully worded--I was "Pondering" the Public "Go-get-ums" and other comments we post here on the Forum.
I certainly don't want to leave anyone out when "rooting for them", because they are all great!
Tim,

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just like anything else, folks are liable to take offense to an innocent statement. It happens in forums like this.

If they're that easily offended I'd suggest they stay away from competition because that's only the tip of the iceberg!

Old 03-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

As Tim said we are cookin in Clermont, but that almost wasn't the case. Anyway, history in this contest has not been real good to us (3rd in 2003, and 4th in 2004). We hope to change that in 2005.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Lets see, 3 in 03, 4 in 04, hmmm, hope you break the trend.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just like anything else, folks are liable to take offense to an innocent statement. It happens in forums like this.

If they're that easily offended I'd suggest they stay away from competition because that's only the tip of the iceberg!
Tim,
Let me try this one more time.
In the Competetion Area, we are dead serious about what we post- unlike "forums like this".
Within this website, we have areas for Barbs and Jabs and Banter and such. Even among the Banter, we respect each other in all ways.

Some Brothers do not have the time to read every post.
Some Brothers do not have the time to read every post in detail.
Some Brothers do not pick up on the "Emoticons" used by some of us to clarify the nature of our comments.
Some Brothers do not have the time to spend here to "know" the personalities and history of the other members.

So, we have to be careful how we phrase and post our information.
This is especially critical in Competetion.

I do not want Kevin, Clara, Mike, William, Jimmy, you, or anyone else to feel like they are left out of something, especially if they do not have the time (like you and I seem to have) to keep up with all the details and nuances of the posts

Did you notice that I added "or anyone else" to my list?

That is my small attempt to cover the other Brother Competetors who I may have missed by name--cause I love and respect them all!

"Fine line to draw" but one I insist on for my personal posts.

As to
Quote:
"If they're that easily offended I'd suggest they stay away from competition because that's only the tip of the iceberg!"
Kinda, almost true.
But, as I said, we respect each other here--unlike "other Forums".
If a competetor comes here, posts, asks questions, answers the questions, and develops a relationship with the Brethren--we get "looser" with each other
Cases in point--Kevin and "Sir Jim Minion". They have been around here long enough to engage in the Banter a bit.
But, if they were competeting head to head--I personally would be damn careful about my wording as I wish them both good luck in public

But, when a new competetor shows up here, I do not want them to feel that we (as a group) are "spring loaded" to root for Kevin, Mike, you, us, or anyone else!

Damn fine line I draw (and it is my personal line, not site policy)--but we are Brothers and need to respect that line!

We are different from "the other sies".
We care about people!

JMHO

TIM

Old 03-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
chad

Another thing to remember is that this is not exclusively an FBA forum! :D With "our" season starting in January we get front loaded compared to most of the county.

We've got Brothers that compete in the mid-west and up in NEBS country as well as the west coast - and, as you know, they won't startup for another month or two.

I'm hoping to see LOTS of teams represented here - I love the fact that FL teams jumped in and have started the ball rolling.

Also, this particular part of the overall forum was started because several of us started competing in 2004. We wanted to share our trials, travails, and joy of winning - and we put it in this area to keep the posts from getting lost in the general traffic of the site.

We ENCOURAGE new competitors and wanna-be's to post. I know what you mean about sensitivities but the "tip of the iceberg" here is encouragement and commaraderie (can't spell tonight). For us "older" members of the group hurting another member is something to feel ashamed of - we really strive to not run people off. :D

You may find some "trash talk" and a bit of smack here but RESPECT is the name of the game. Something we have to be careful about is to ensure that this forum doesn't become and exclusive club where only the members who know each other participate.

Like I said earlier - I'm hoping the other areas of the country get active on this forum too. I want to share in the adventures of 2Fat, BB and BBII, Spice, KC, Solid, and anyone else that ponies up the scratch to compete.

So we try to take a bit of care to not offend competitors here. I like the competitors I've met and wish them all the best at each and every competitions - however, I'll trash talk with the best of 'em when I'm signed up to cook! :D

Yeah, this forum is a bit different from "the others". For the most part we actually like each other and over the months (and for some of us years) we've been here we've gotten to really care about one another, too. We support each other knowing that if our teams ever go head to head we'll each be trying to win!

Just my $.02 worth.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
chad

Everyone should be getting setup at Clermont, FL, this afternoon. Clermont is north of Orlando on US27.

Best of luck to everyone - looks like it'll be a beautiful weekend.

Looking forward to a report late Saturday or Sunday. :D

Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #12
CosmicCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

I thought folks weren't supposed to "hijack" posts in this forum. Seems to us (Cosmic Cookin') the moderators tend to do just so. Shame on you.

We take exception to the previous posts. Sorry guys. We need no lessons in brotherhood, comradery or understanding. We lived what we believe in this weekend and didn't have to explain it to a soul.

Y'all keep doin' what you're doin' and have fun with it, but we know you've turned several people off by offering your concepts of brotherhood and deleting posts refering folks to other sites for cooking tips.

Ya wanna learn how to cook competitvely. We're available and willin' to share. We don't have time for silliness because as we're breakin' down a site at one location we're mentally gettin' ready for the next.

As we stated before, you have to have thick skin in order to compete and stay competitive.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCookin
I thought folks weren't supposed to "hijack" posts in this forum. Seems to us (Cosmic Cookin') the moderators tend to do just so. Shame on you.

We take exception to the previous posts. Sorry guys. We need no lessons in brotherhood, comradery or understanding. We lived what we believe in this weekend and didn't have to explain it to a soul.

Y'all keep doin' what you're doin' and have fun with it, but we know you've turned several people off by offering your concepts of brotherhood and deleting posts refering folks to other sites for cooking tips.

Ya wanna learn how to cook competitvely. We're available and willin' to share. We don't have time for silliness because as we're breakin' down a site at one location we're mentally gettin' ready for the next.

As we stated before, you have to have thick skin in order to compete and stay competitive.
Very eloquent post, Thank You.

I apologise profusely for Hi-Jacking your post.

We are but amateurs here--sorry for any slights you may have felt.

I do have a very large and diverse family here. One that goes well Beyond BBQ. We do not live totally in the world of competetive Que, thankfully.

And you are right--being thick skinned is important in almost any worthwhile endeavor. So is the abillity to see the big picture when challenged and to respect the others viewpoint.

Now, back on topic.
Anyone care to post the Cleremont results? FBA site is not as quick as usual.

TIM

Old 03-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
chad

Tim;

I'm really sorry you feel like you were hijacked or dis'd. What TIM and I were attempting to do was clarify and soften the "forums like this one" comment you made. Obviously our attempt went amiss.

The editing you attribute to us was done "above our pay grade" and were in line with forum policy - like FBA and KCBS rules to keep the playing field level. :D

I hope you will reconsider bailing on us - you weren't flamed or personally attacked - unlike most other "forums like this one" - mainly because of our policies and the moderators keeping things under control.

Silliness, yeah we've got some. And contrary to your intimation there are quite a few of us that know how to setup and breakdown a site each weekend.

I hope to see you around the circuit, but probably not until Lake Alfred.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #15
CosmicCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Nobody here was considerin' bailin', nobody got highly insulted. Maybe very confused but doin' that is no big challenge.

We don't have a score sheet before us, but Woodhouse took grand , BillyT's (combo of Dumplin' Valley, Smoke Rings in the Dark and Weapons of Mass BBQ) took reserve, and HomeBBQ.com was 3rd. We didn't compete as a team. Just up there to be with our friends.

Reason for no results on the FBA website is due to a computer glitch, and we're sure Ricky is workin' on it.

We'll be in Lake Alfred. Come on by and introduce yourselves.