MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Oh jesus I am not calling for the shut down of this forum. LOL Phil. LMAO

Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I like the onion crisps by the tastey lookin pickle.
Those, too.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Oh jesus I am not calling for the shut down of this forum. LOL Phil. LMAO
Yes you are!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
thirdeye

Here is a previous discussion on burnt ends..... and what they mean to folks in different parts of the country.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=burnt

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Where is that thread that, "Forever changed my life!" (Once upon a time in a signature mod)
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Here is a previous discussion on burnt ends..... and what they mean to folks in different parts of the country.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=burnt
Great read!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanza View Post
Yes you are!
I don't think so.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Where is that thread that, "Forever changed my life!" (Once upon a time in a signature mod)

A-Men Brother Bob.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75441

expansion on traditions and taboos in BBQ

Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #25
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for starting a most enlightening thread.

Comes the dawn on a golden chariot.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #26
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
A-Men Brother Bob.

The one in about beans right?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #27
landarc

Now I want some faux pork burnt ends, oh, wait, I got some for lunch tomorrow.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #28
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sorry, but I'm not going to put a disclaimer on every dish I do that says it may also be done another way, or someone did it differently before. And putting cut up point back on the smoker isn't simulating anything; it's allowing them to become burnt ends on their own. What's simulated about that?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #29
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
Sorry, but I'm not going to put a disclaimer on every dish I do that says it may also be done another way, or someone did it differently before. And putting cut up point back on the smoker isn't simulating anything; it's allowing them to become burnt ends on their own. What's simulated about that?
Its funny how people go from point a to g when there is only a point a-c.

What is simulated about it is in your quote. "putting cut up point back on the smoker isn't simulating anything; it's allowing them to become burnt ends on their own."

IT CAME FROM THE SMOKER! Had it been done traditionally there would be no need to create a bark. However, the side facing the meat internal, needs a bark, so it must be made. Orginal BE just fell off. End of story.

As said before and tirelessly true burndt ends happen naturally.

I think what some people object to is how the words "real" "True," "original" "traditional," and may place a negative linguistic pall on those that are not true, original, or traditional. Thereby when one barely mentions it some people assume we are dissing another's work. "Simulated" also causes problems.

No one asked anyone anywhere to place a disclaimer on their burnt ends either specifying what or how they were made. Not me.

The origin of this thread was due to a misunderstanding by an original and brief comment I made, represented by the first line of this thread in black and the associated picture that made it appear I was criticizing the original poster. Brethen folklore took it even further when another poster claimed specifically that in the thread. Cliques being cliques and we have a situation where people take sides and so forth.

There is NO shame, as I clearly stated (by indicating my preference for rebaked or resmoked points cubed and sauced like the original poster gave) in simulated burnt ends. There is nothing tainted about it either. A pizza was first cooked in a wood burning oven. Those made in contemporary ovens are still pizzas. The taste is so different that its important to specify in the case you actually MAKE wood fired pizzas. Whereas it is Not important to claim you are making an electric pizza. LOL

Q talk is for the masses from what I understand. So any yahoo crossing by needs to know there are two kinds of burnt ends (in regards to HOW they are done; Original and Simulated.

I received a humorous email today where someone took exception and claimed to be eating ""burnt ends" at Arthurs like this for 40 years - thereby making a claim due to his seemingly lengthy time on earth as proof this style is "original." The person could not see beyond their limited historical experience.

The term "burnt ends" or "irreegulars" or even "regulars" dates back to the slave, share cropping and later migrant worker period where this stuff was served out the back of the meat markets as a undesirable product. This was during a period of little if any refrigeration and when markets smoked meat to preserve it or in the case of beef let it last a little longer. Thus these scraps were sliced off, the well to do buyer was given the gray meat out the front door and the burnt ends went out the back.

As BBQ became something to get OUTSIDE of the meat market, BE were also placed in a sauce pots and collected until enough of it was able to make sandwiches. Afterward I am sure someone came up with the natural conclusion that you could throw it in a broiler or hot smoker and do something like the delicious things we make now.

Assuming I or anyone else is "dissing" someone's work by showing an alternative method or even indicating the historical differeneses of mock burnt ends versus real ones is simply a strawman. The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

Common foods that fall into the same kind of confusion as bbq often does are: Barbecoa (where someone insist it is made of certian meats when regional differences are not taken into consideration) and also Chineese Food (which is so highly Americanized to our pallettes that is far and away entirely different from true Chineese food which crosses so many regions and dynasties its hard to make heads or tails out of WHATS WHAT. Oh-- chowder and Chili too.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 01-05-2010 at 04:33 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I was trying to think of a analogy for the whole burnt ends controversy, and the first thing that popped in my head was the "Debris" sandwich from Mothers restaurant in New Orleans.
The Debris sandwich from Mothers is basically the small pieces of roast that fall off into the drippings when they are roasting beef. They started adding these pieces of roast to their sandwiches, along with the drippings, and more and more people started asking for it. Before long they had the now famous "Debris" sandwich.
Now what if I came along, and said I am going to make my own Debris sandwich, but instead of doing it Mothers way, I just chop some roast beef up into small chunks and mix in some au jus. It may taste like a Debris sandwich, it may even taste better than a Debris sandwich, but is it really a Debris sandwich?
I think this is the basis of Popdaddy's whole argument. By simulating the taste and texture of a burnt end by chopping and saucing the point and re-cooking, are they really burnt ends? If I simulated a Debris sandwich by chopping up roast beef and adding au jus, is it really a Debris sandwich? It may be "inspired" by a Debris sandwich, but I should probably call it something else. Maybe "Saiko's Succulent Sandwich, inspired by Debris".
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote