MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Curing agent differences???

So...I'm doing more and more stuff at home like my own bacon, hams, sausage and such. I've normally not used the curing agents like Prague powder and pink salt and just prepped, cooked and frozen until it's needed. But now, I want to get more into dry curing meats and sausages, which require the chemical additives like the Prague powder and pink salt.

A few questions I have are...what is the difference, and does it really matter? I see Prague Powder #1 and #2, Pink Salt, curing mixes and every thing else. Is there a difference between #1 and #2 Prague powders other than #2 has both Sodium Nitrite and Nitrate? Is one essential for curing a particular type of sausage or meat? Should I but Prague #2 to cover all bases?

What say those with the experience?

Thanks,

Tim
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I forget which is which, but, I think #1 is for hot smoked curing only. The other is for dry curing and cold smoking.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default start doing some homework and reading here...

Tim,

this in one of the best sites I have found sofar..
over the last couple of years I have used info from here and made a bunch of cured meats and fermented sausages made with recipes from his site..

http://lpoli.50webs.com/page0001.htm
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

here's a good explanation:
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2009/...e-1-and-2.html
i'm lazy, i use Buckboard Bacon Cure ( https://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/p...9&cat=0&page=1 ), can't go wrong with it.

i fully agree, Poli's site is the best on sausage making..

one more (sorry, lousy phone pics):

Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
So...I'm doing more and more stuff at home like my own bacon, hams, sausage and such. I've normally not used the curing agents like Prague powder and pink salt and just prepped, cooked and frozen until it's needed. But now, I want to get more into dry curing meats and sausages, which require the chemical additives like the Prague powder and pink salt.

A few questions I have are...what is the difference, and does it really matter? I see Prague Powder #1 and #2, Pink Salt, curing mixes and every thing else. Is there a difference between #1 and #2 Prague powders other than #2 has both Sodium Nitrite and Nitrate? Is one essential for curing a particular type of sausage or meat? Should I but Prague #2 to cover all bases?

What say those with the experience?

Thanks,

Tim
Prague #1, Instacure #1 and others with the #1 designation are all generally called pink salt. They have 6.25% sodium nitrite, and are used for curing things which will be cooked (to some degree).... like ham, bacon, corned beef, hot smoked sausages, some beef jerky and so on.

Curing salts with the #2 designation have both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. These cures are kind of a time release sort of thing, and are used for curing meats which are not cooked, like some Italian hams, or hard salami.

Tenderquick is a cure which contains both nitrites and nitrates, but they are in lower concentrations than the cures above.

All of these can be used for making a pickle (wet cure) or used as a dry cure. Some recipes for sausage will call for them to be added directly. Tenderquick can be used as an ingredient to a simple brine, often just to give meat that nice pink color. The best advice when working with cures is to use a proven recipe, and don't really fool with the cure amounts or the cure time. You can improvise all you want with seasonings though. Although curing is an old art, modern curing methods take into account refrigeration in many recipes... so you are not really doing a "preservation cure" on most things.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the info!!! Looks like I need to order some #1 and maybe some tenderquick. Not a big fan of fermented sausages...they taste to bitter/acidic to me. Witht he esception of salami and pepperoni of course. Just not a big fan of Genoa salami and those types.

This is definately much more for things that I plan pn cooking like bacon, sausage, ham...stuff like that.

Tim
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
thirdeye

One thing folks overlook is smoked pork chops. They take 48 hours to cure, 6 hours to soak, and 6 hours to rest, and maybe an hour or so to slow smoke. With the low prices on pork, these are a good value.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

lifetime supply :)

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....products_id=56

they carry Tenderquick too but i assume the shipping will be high. Try Wallmart, they use to have it (or http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/where-to-buy )
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote