Nothing like fresh peppers from the garden

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Devil's Tongue, Jalaro chilies, Hot Pablonos, Habaneros, Texas Chili Pequins, Giant Macaroni?, U of I peppers, Chocalate Habaneros, Jalapenos, Habena D, Ainkle Hot - got a couple misspelled probably, but looking forward to eating them just the same. My Bhut Jolikia's haven't started turning purple, yet :(

Attachments

• Peppers1.jpg
    Peppers1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Peppers2.jpg
    Peppers2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Peppers3.jpg
    Peppers3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 114
How was the Devil's Tongue, I was thinking of getting some seeds for those for next year?

How was the Devil's Tongue, I was thinking of getting some seeds for those for next year?

haven't tried one yet, I'll let you know. The other Habanero is a Red Salvina, which I plan on having with the pulled pork tonight. For lunch, I at a couple of the smaller peppers - very nice flavor and hotter than jalapenos.

Great post. A man after my own heart, lots of heat and the BGE.

I have some Bhuts as well but didn't grow them. They have a little kick. Here, I'm growing Thai Dragons and Carribean Reds. The CB are really too slow for Colo. Haven't even gotten a pepper yet. Already done 4 pickings on the Thais. They're fing on the smoker this afternoon and then ground.

How are the Thai Dragons, as far as heat? I'm glad you mentioned grinding - I totally didn't think of doing that thiis year. I am planning on smoking some and then making a hot sauce and some salsas - will have to dry and grind some, though. Do you use a coffee grinder for yours?

I smoke or do not smoke, then dry even more in oven set very low. Once they are really dry, I use a coffee grinder to powder them up.

Yeah, I really like the Thais. They run 50,000 - 100,000 scovilles. I generally smoke them for a couple of hours with a fruit wood like Apple or Cherry. I finish them in the dehydrator and then grind/sift them.

I use one of the black and decker coffee grinders where I can adjust the grind. Started off with a blender years ago and that works fine for the thin wall peppers like the Thais.

Hey, Landarc, doesn't drying them in the oven make the kitchen off limits? The last time I made my "Deadly" sauce, no one could enter the kitchen all night...

Yeah, I really like the Thais. They run 50,000 - 100,000 scovilles. I generally smoke them for a couple of hours with a fruit wood like Apple or Cherry. I finish them in the dehydrator and then grind/sift them.

I use one of the black and decker coffee grinders where I can adjust the grind. Started off with a blender years ago and that works fine for the thin wall peppers like the Thais.

Fruit wood, really? Never thought of that. I usually use oak or mesquite. Does the fruit wood add a bit of sweetness?

We are a strange family, in that we don't drink coffee, so I haven't bothered getting a grinder, yet. I usually dry and then crush them, more than grinding them. However, if the pepper harvest turns out more than just a few peppers, I'll get a grinder. We've had such a cool summer, nothing's producing well, except my chili pequins. Ever tried those? I love them!!!

Yeah, I really like smoking with fruit woods. I use them on pretty much everything so you know where I'm coming from.

I kind of like the little bit of a sweet wood with some good heat.

As for the coffee grinder, it's a "pepper only" grinder and the dust will probably not go well with ground coffee. I think I spent around $30 for it and that's all I use it for.

As for a cool summer, I know that story. Been a tough one out here as well plus all the hail we've had and continue to have.

As for the pequin, haven't grown them or really ever had them. I hear very good things about them though. We have some very good spice stores here and I figured next time I'm down, I need to pick some up and give them a shot.

Yeah, I really like smoking with fruit woods. I use them on pretty much everything so you know where I'm coming from.

I kind of like the little bit of a sweet wood with some good heat.

As for the coffee grinder, it's a "pepper only" grinder and the dust will probably not go well with ground coffee. I think I spent around $30 for it and that's all I use it for.

As for a cool summer, I know that story. Been a tough one out here as well plus all the hail we've had and continue to have.

As for the pequin, haven't grown them or really ever had them. I hear very good things about them though. We have some very good spice stores here and I figured next time I'm down, I need to pick some up and give them a shot.

Yeah, it does make sense that you'd use it only for pepper.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail ya some peppers to try.

Great tips! I was wondering what to do with the excess peppers from this years garden. You guys have given me some good ideas.:-D

Thanks

Not being a coffee drinking family makes using the coffee grinder a lot safer. I can vouch for the fact that coffee does not go well with pepper powder. And giving the grinder a whiff to see if it is the pepper grinder or the pepper grinder is not really a good idea either.

As for the kitchen issue, run a fan.

Yeah, it does make sense that you'd use it only for pepper.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail ya some peppers to try.

Thanks but let me figure out how this year turns out for me. If I can get a decent harvest, etc. I'll return the favor. That's only fair.

I get that figured out by the end of Sept depending on when our first freeze is.

I appreciate your generosity.

I love hot peppers but, since they don't agree with the rest of the family, I don't indulge that often...and haven't grown any in years.

I think that's going to be corrected next year though.

Back