MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
Typically
On the road to being a farker

thanks Ashmont! i've been lurking around here for a few months and now that i have my UDS up and running i can't stay away i try reading as much as possible before asking questions because i know how annoying it gets answering the same questions over and over again thanks to all the brethren that makes this place what it is!!!
Typically is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #32
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Momma just said she want's a beer can turkey this year.

No problem baby!!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #33
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's one I just did last Sunday - all that's left is bones for turkey soup (and there's only two of us!) - Smoked Turkey - Don't like it any other way now.
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #34
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I am so jealous. Around my house Thanksgiving cooking doesn't belong to me so I don't get to smoke or fry the Turkey.

You guys are amazing...
But... not even your squirkey?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
That is why I did this thread! We are here to help and learn. As you travel through the journey here in Brethrenville you will learn much. So as you adventure blossoms and you make your attempt at whatever that you have seen here or anywhere else ask questions. We want you to succeed and not fail. (Exception of most of Shanes briskets) But he is getting better with the help of Wyatt.

We are a family we share and learn. We joke and sometimes get pissy. This site is more than just a forum and you will find out quickly of how special this place is to be a part.
Many thanks Ashmont! I'll have to show this thread to my wife since smoked turkey is her absolute fave and maybe it will be the inspiration to actually get that smoker b4 TG is here!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
hammerz_nailz
Full Fledged Farker

on a weber rotisserie

20090920-IMG_7098.jpg

20090920-IMG_7123.jpg
Red Thermapen
hammerz_nailz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #37
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is one I did years ago on my stickburner, followed by a couple of breasts I did recently on the WSM. Photography ain't as perty as others, but the turkey was good:

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #38
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I think that Squirkey is RTD! Is that a camera he is holding? I bet he taking pics of nut pron!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ashmont; 09-30-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

ok fellas I think all this turkey pron is awesome, however... Im not learning hot to do this. I would assume everyone is brining, cuz other wise that bird will be dry, but do you cook it hot like chiken, or do you go low and slow?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
ok fellas I think all this turkey pron is awesome, however... Im not learning hot to do this. I would assume everyone is brining, cuz other wise that bird will be dry, but do you cook it hot like chiken, or do you go low and slow?
Poultry takes smoke very easy, so be careful with wood. I cook mine just about like in the oven and do not brine.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow great looking turkey guys! Can someone post their recipe? What is the largest size bird that can be cooked in a weber performer?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #42
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
Poultry takes smoke very easy, so be careful with wood. I cook mine just about like in the oven and do not brine.
yeah I know poultry takes smoke easy, I've had some chicken that tastes just like chewin on a stick. But either way, so you cook at like 350? is this what others do?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #43
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
a lot of people brine. i never brine. i want it to taste like turkey... and cherry smoke.

of course, i don't know it all. it's just my experience and how i do it. try it both ways and see what you like best. some of it depends on your cooker type.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #44
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
a lot of people brine. i never brine. i want it to taste like turkey... and cherry smoke.

of course, i don't know it all. it's just my experience and how i do it. try it both ways and see what you like best. some of it depends on your cooker type.
I appreciate it, I normally don't bring my chicken. I just heard before that people brine turkey to maintain mositure. I have dont turkey brests before but that was a long time ago, and I can't even remember how they turned out, I would assume good. But I will be cooking on either my trusty UDS, or if I feel like cookin somthing else my stumps. guess it depends on the size of the bird too

Old 09-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I always brine turkeys. I've cut back on the salt and started using honey instead of brown sugar, and have been real happy with the results. Latest recipe can be found in this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59514

As far as temps, it all depends on how you like your skin. If you want it crispy, you will need to bump your temps to 300 or higher for the last hour or so.
If you aren't worried about crispy skin (when I do turkey breasts for sandwich meat, I remove the skin and don't worry about it) then keep it low and slow.
Another options is to just go with high heat (300 plus) all the way. Your turkey will still be nice and smokey, plus you will have a nice crispy skin.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote