MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

one thing to add, I have cooked many thousand pounds of brisket, injected / not injected ..packers or just flats...and the only time I had a dry flat was when I get into aging past 30 days,,I was doing 60 days and they came out tasty however they were on the dry side..so maybe something to think about and even if I left a thick fat cap...dry..soaking in any liquid the cells will not absorb, we think they do but they just will not coperate
I use what ever for a rub however I always put a layer of brown sugar or turbinado on. It does not matter if I am cookiing one brisket flat or 3 cases, they get some sugar..
Try to cook with out any injections, and you learn what might be the problem, then add the injection, as you have to learn how to cook the meat first. You should be able to cook a brisket without any wrap and it should be juicy, then the injections are a nice plus..a wrap...but remember wraps soften the bark...
as the Bludawg said probe like buuter...then rest ....then enjoy

Old 10-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #17
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I cook a LOT of flats.

First thing I want to know is what temperature are you cooking at. I cook at 300+ as most of the comp guys who use a UDS do. Don't worry about injections. Completely forget them for now. If you want to add flavor, add some in a broth to your foil.

Season the brisket and put it on the smoker. Once it "looks" cooked (~70C) wrap it TIGHTLY in aluminum foil. Cook it until it is probe tender (~93-99C). Just stick the thermometer through the foil.

Pull it out and rest it for an hour or so to serve. If you want to return it to the smoker to firm up the bark... do it before the rest and refoil it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
BobM
Babbling Farker

I inject brisket flats with low sodium beef broth, then rub them with SPOG.
I cook them in an aluminum pan until the IT is about 140F, then I foil the pan.
I cook them to an IT of 190F then start probe testing them.
When I feel it is done, I let the flat rest for about an hour before cutting.

Good luck
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

A lot of different methods here...

I've done them low & slow at 225-235 range and I've done them hot & fast at 325-350 range. I did the very first ones hot & fast at 325F, and foiled when they looked cooked (it was only around 180/85C, there was hardly any bark before that).

I guess it was the most moist product, probably would have been better if I've foiled earlier. But then again, there was literally no bark before hitting around 180...

I guess they've all been undercooked then, since none of them have been anywhere near the feel of going into hot butter. Not even the first one I did hot & fast and pulled at 218F.

I can't control the aging, they've been wet aged in vac bag for quite a long time since they are USA imports. I'll check next time I'll buy them, but I guess most of them have been slaughtered at least two months ago (they have around 4 months shelf life according to the packaging).

Is it possible to get a moist product without foiling? I've understood that "everyone" at comps foils briskets for moisture reasons...
rikun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Absolutely!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Well that looks really good, no foil?

And is that a flat?

For a reference, this is what I'm referring as dry (my first one done hot & fast + foiled, pulled at 218F and still didn't probe like buttah)

I would swear that it was overdone, not under, but what do I know.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #22
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you do not need to foil to get a moist flat..and I have never taken a brisket past 203*
look at your rub and remember to use brown sugar, in my opinion this is key to seal the outside...
try a little trick, before rub and spices ...
condition the outside with white sugar, let set up for about 30 minutes or so, then rinse off with water..
, add some worchester and sprinkle your rub on, then coat with brown sugar..
My nephew lives in San Antonio and clued me in on this one...
but foil is not necesary, however will help..

Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think it's my rub... I have a theory and that's carryover heat overcooking my flats.

I've vented them for only about a couple of minutes and then foiled + rested for many hours (had to transport them hot).

I'm gonna do the next one as I've done all the previous ones, except vent for 15 minutes and rest for 1-2 hours max. Maybe even keep a thermo in there during resting...

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

If your flats are overcooked, you wouldn't be able to get nice slices like your photo shows. Overcooked briskets will crumble when you try to slice.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikun View Post
Well that looks really good, no foil?

And is that a flat?

For a reference, this is what I'm referring as dry (my first one done hot & fast + foiled, pulled at 218F and still didn't probe like buttah)

I would swear that it was overdone, not under, but what do I know.

It is under cooked the collagen hasn't melted see how tight the muscle fibers are in your's. Now compare it to mine.

see the gaps this is from the collagen melting and turning to gelatin that would be the glossy stuff.
Temps are a tool but not an absolute, if it DON'T PASS THE POKE TEST IT AINT DONE

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Bludawg has this one covered.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah that makes sense, that one was undercooked. I know temps don't mean too much with briskets, but I'd love to find out at what temp it would've been done, 225 ish maybe

But everything after that has been overcooked, they've crumbled a bit. But, I did produce the best flat to date yesterday, hooray

Had a lot of temp swings but that didn't seem to affect the result too much.

I did everything as I've always done, but vented the flat for 15 minutes before foiling and resting. It was still a bit overcooked, the sides crumbled when I tried to slice. I guess I'll have to calibrate my probe test a little bit, I guess I'm expecting slightly too buttery texture.

Is there a way to cook a flat more evenly, so that the narrow ends don't overcook when the middle is just right? I'd guess no

Here's a pic of the yesterday's flat (I need a new knife)

Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
Bludawg

That looks really good! I try not to buy any thing that isn't at least a min 1" thick in the thinnest place. You can always block it before cooking so it is even. The trim makes a good cooks treat or save 'em up for chili.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

That one looks like a winner.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #30
jestridge

use a alum. pan add some broth /apple juice cook uncover for 4hr then cover until desire temp. I also use a onion soup mix with broth
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, dry, flat, moisture