MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Small Carry-on Cooler Good for Air Travel?

I'm going to visit my little sis in TX next week and, obviously, we plan on eating tons of BBQ. While I'm there I want to grab a bunch of Elgin & New Braunfels sausage and bring it back. None of the coolers I have are really good for air travel - anybody know a good one I can get? I'll most likely be carrying it on the plane with me rather than checking it. I've seen a couple on Amazon that look alright, but I figured it might be a good idea to get input from y'all farkers before I grabbed anything.

Thanks in advance!

Oh - and anybody with tips on good places to get sausage (for take away) around Austin (and maybe around an hour or so radius) I'd love to hear 'em.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

They make insulated boxes to carry on lobstah that is an exact fit for under the seat.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I fly about 3-4 times a month, I also hunt and fish all over the US. I have found that you can pick up a cooler at Wal-Mart and ship it via UPS home much easier than taking a cooler on a plane. Or if you do take your cooler on the plane, check it. If you check it you can pack enough ice or blue ice blocks to keep your food from spoiling. I check them at the counter, and after they open them and look in them, I duct tape the thing closed. No problem this way. I can tell you that checking your firearm is much easier than taking most things on a plane.I once got caught in security with a shotgun shell in my backpack in Wichita. I came straight from a pheasant hunt to the airport in a hurry. In the end it was ok, that seems to happen frequently there. But it was a real nervous 40 minutes.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've checked coolers in the past without problems.

But, these are great soft-sided coolers...

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I got one of these to haul some sausage out to the North Texas Brethren Spring Bash
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/c...oler-ii/204851
Thought I would just freeze the sausage and haul as carryon, doubt it will thaw until we dan get there and put the sausage on ice.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I'm going to visit my little sis in TX next week and, obviously, we plan on eating tons of BBQ. While I'm there I want to grab a bunch of Elgin & New Braunfels sausage and bring it back. None of the coolers I have are really good for air travel - anybody know a good one I can get? I'll most likely be carrying it on the plane with me rather than checking it. I've seen a couple on Amazon that look alright, but I figured it might be a good idea to get input from y'all farkers before I grabbed anything.

Thanks in advance!

Oh - and anybody with tips on good places to get sausage (for take away) around Austin (and maybe around an hour or so radius) I'd love to hear 'em.
To carry on food, you will be subject to additional screening. I would check it in, get a soft sided cooler and "strong" freezer bags for ice or blue ice to double up the protection.

This company has the best and strongest soft coolers in the industry...
http://www.aocoolers.com/index.cfm?category=22

Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
gtr

I just checked and SW has free checked bags so I may check it.

Great info y'all - thanks!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Present TSA rules and enforcement can make for a headache as you go through security. Liquids and gels get a ton of scrutiny. My folks will bring me out some sausage and it always gets put in the checked baggage, nobody cares about the ice packs there and its always still frozen. The greater the frozen mass the better.

My worst case was when they scrutinized a small batch of golf balls I threw into my carry-on at the last minute. Two of them were a three-piece ball and looked different under the scanner than the others. Nothing like four agents each analyzing a golf ball as I wondered if I'd catch my flight.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
dwfisk

Quote:
I just checked and SW has free checked bags so I may check it.

Great info y'all - thanks!
Yea, me and my son are flying SW too. I've read their carryon rules and think we are good, I we can just get through TSA without them rippin off my sausages

Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
Present TSA rules and enforcement can make for a headache as you go through security. Liquids and gels get a ton of scrutiny. My folks will bring me out some sausage and it always gets put in the checked baggage, nobody cares about the ice packs there and its always still frozen. The greater the frozen mass the better.

My worst case was when they scrutinized a small batch of golf balls I threw into my carry-on at the last minute. Two of them were a three-piece ball and looked different under the scanner than the others. Nothing like four agents each analyzing a golf ball as I wondered if I'd catch my flight.
As a long-hair with a couple of cheapo tatts, I'm somewhat accustomed to additional scrutiny. It's been better as I get older though. I think it's becoming more and more apparent I'm not very capable of danger, or much else for that matter.

Since it's free, it may be easier to just check the stuff.

But then again, what if I get hungry on the flight? Plus there may be folks on the plane who'll wanna check out my sausage after I brag about it.
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
deguerre

You have a sister?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You have a sister?
2 of 'em.
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
dwfisk

Quote:
there may be folks on the plane who'll wanna check out my sausage after I brag about it.
Don't think I'd be showing off my sausage in public, ooopppps, we are not in woodpile, sorry.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

A guy I work with and I were on a business trip a couple of years ago. He had a hookup that got him 4 cases of bacon. We each packed two in our checked luggage frozen (and both made it just under the weight limit). I would have loved to see the look on the screener's face if they actually opened our luggage, but I don't think they did.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
deguerre

I have three. All older. Any brothers?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote