butt or sholder?

J

jbw

i seem to have more success cooking a butt with the blade in it rather then the picknet ham/ shoulder. the meat is very good but does not shred as easily as the butt. any tips?

Going in circles here. Most times a Butt is the same as a Shoulder. A picnic is a different cut and will taste more like ham. Some stores I have seen mark the Picnic as a Shoulder or Leg.

One way to tell is the Picnic bone will look like a Leg Bone, round with a Ball. The Shoulder will be a flat type blade bone.

Most people prefer the Shoulder for pulled Pork.

If you like the Picnic taste, take it to 160º place in foil and spray with Apple Juice wrap and continue cooking to 195º-200º pull off smoker wrap in old towels and place into a dry cooler for a couple hours.

Matter of fact that is also how I cook my Shoulders too.

Sorry, but a butt is not really the same as a "shoulder". Quick rundown:

A pork shoulder is a rather large cut of meat, starting out at about 12-14 lb, and about 2 ft long. It can then be broken down into two smaller cuts of meat, the "shoulder butt" and the "Shoulder Picnic." I have heard the shoulder butt also be referred to as a Boston butt, pork butt, blade roast, or shoulder roast, blade in. I have heard the shoulder picnic be called a picnic or cali roast. It's true that the bones, as well as the shape and the presence of skin are different between the two. As maybe stated, mentioned, most ppl tend to prefer the butt.

dmp

One thing I do diffrent between buts and shoulders is wrap. I always wrap the butts at 160ish but I don''t wrap the shoulder. Most of it is covered with skin and what isin't gets a good bark on it and mixes well with the other meat. I tend to chop my meat as opposed to pulling it so that may be why I have never noticed it stringy.

I also inject both just for added moisture inside...

Hope that helps.

thanks, my family which is Cuban, oven cooks shoulders with a lot of garlic and scores the skin which turns into warm pork rinds before dinner. i just realized that i do better with butt for pulled, thanks again, jeff

Back