MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
hd4me
On the road to being a farker

Default Quality Knives

I am hurting for a good set of knives. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Dumb question, I know you guy's do.

Good Food, Good Friends.........Good Times !!!!!!!

BWS Chubby
Lg. BGE
Weber Silver
Weber Smokey Joe
Turkey Fryer
El Cheapo gasser
hd4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Forschner Knifes are a good deal when you dont want to spend too much money.

If you want best quality, nothing beats Kai Shun in my opinion.

DM
Don Marco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
hd4me

I dont mind paying for quality. Where can I get these? Kai Shun

BWS Chubby
Lg. BGE
Weber Silver
Weber Smokey Joe
Turkey Fryer
El Cheapo gasser

Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
boberosabbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've got shun knives from kershaw and love them.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Go to a good knife shop and feel them. Pick the one that feels right in your hand.

Economical, top quality, commercial brands: Forschner, or Chicago Cutlery. Both used in every restaurant kitchen you'll ever walk into. They do a great job, last forever, and won't hurt your wallet too much.

German made, forged blades tend to have a nice heft to them. If you like a weighty knife, I'd recommend Messermeister and Wustof. I like Wustof's new line, called the Ikon. I like the Messermeisters and the Ikon line because they are a bolsterless forged blade. That means the edge can be sharpened all the way to its heel.

Japanese knife designs are traditionally bolsterless. I have several Japanese made blades. Commonly found brands that I like are Global and Shun. Globals are light weight. Some people like that, some don't. Again, go test drive one at a good shop near you.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

I prefer the Henckels Professional "S" line.

That said, I would agree to go in and get a feel for what you like and is within your budget. A friend has the all metal Henckels and loves them but I can't stand them.
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

What's your price range? Do you want German steel or the good stuff, Japanese steel? Good quality Germans are Wusthof Classic or the ones I have, Wustof Grand Prix. I love them! http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10093

For a middle of the price range Japanese style set, go with Shun. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-knives.htm The Shun Classics are good, better than German knives, IMO. The angle of the blade is at 22º rather than 15º on Germans. Shaaaaaarp! The Shun Elite's are great! These are what I have as well. Ken Onions and the Alton knives feel weird to me. Another middle of the $ range Japanese brand is Global. They're also scary sharp like Shun, but if you have big hands, you may prefer the Shuns. Shun also has better customer service.

Now, if you really want to treat yourself with GREAT knives, go with MAC, Hattori, Masahiro, Tojiro. I don't know how into knives you are. I'm truly a cutlery fanatic. In my opinion, knives are an investment that should last for 10, 15, 20++ years if they're good. If you want knives that will be good to you for decades, that will make precise cuts, that won't hurt your wrists from bad balancing and that will lessen the chances of you cutting yourself, then these knives are something to look at.

For more information, here's a really great knife rating test that Michael from Cookingforengineers.com did. I love his website! http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...s-Knives-Rated

Also, here is a specific forum at Knifeforums.com that only discusses kitchen knives and the application of such knives in cooking. http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/ The guys in this forum are really great with helping newbies. Feel free to ask them questions and feel free to ask me questions.

Here are some great videos Alton Brown did for Shun: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89298700188336 http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...97188653294913
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I agree on the test drive factor. When I first started shopping for knives I had a set ideal worked out on what I was going to buy. By the time I finished carrying onions and cutting boards into knife shops, I had completely changed my opinion. I went from Global and Henckels mixed to Wustoff Grand Prix II. I really like my Wustoff and would recommend them as an option. I bought my wife a set of bolstered, "traditionally styled" stuff from Linens N Things, and I have to say that they are really nice. The house brand. For an inexpensive, but nice looking set, those are good.

Something to be aware of with some Japanese knives (like Global I think) is that they have a different blade shape than French/German knives, and have to be sharpened differently. No a big deal, and can be very sharp. Just something to be aware of. I agree with everything said here as to good inexpensive and expensive brands.

Two other options: I've seen a lot of "Food Network" branded knives at Khol's and Bed Bath & Beyond lately. They look pretty good. I think you'll get really good performance, comfort, and wallet friendlyness if you go to a resturaunt supply store and a buy a few white handle, NSF kitchen knives. They won't look as pretty or last as long, but you can buy a new one every year or two. You also won't mind as much if you drop one and have to replace it.

MHO,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Full Throttle Q
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a set of Furi knives and love them
Mike
32" Natural Gasser (warm ups & hot dogs)
Turkey Fryer
Stumper clone and reverse flow offfset (in planning/construction phase)

Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
hd4me

Thanks Guy's!!!!!! I want something that will last and hold an edge. darthtrader, thanks for the videos and info. I know nothing about kitchen knifes but I am up on others... I prefer Buck or Gerber for everyday carry. Buck for the carbon and nice edge. What I don't like about Gerber is they are a biotch to sharpen. I think everyone is correct here to test drive. I will have a set by the end of the weekend.

BWS Chubby
Lg. BGE
Weber Silver
Weber Smokey Joe
Turkey Fryer
El Cheapo gasser

Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
Economical, top quality, commercial brands: Forschner, or Chicago Cutlery. Both used in every restaurant kitchen you'll ever walk into. They do a great job, last forever, and won't hurt your wallet too much.

I agree with Professor Salt, Forschner, or Chicago Cutlery not only in most restaurant kitchens, but look over the counters at what your butchers are using all day long . meat cutters , processors, you'll find alot of Forschner, or Chicago in use.

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

An ex-girlfriend of mine had Chicago Cutleries. I used them once and hated them. 1. They rust. 2. They don't have a sharp enough edge out of the box. They don't keep an edge. She had the Landmark editions. http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutler...453660&sr=8-11

I can't speak for any other CC knives, but the Landmarks should be avoided, IMO.
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

i have shun and they are a great knife
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Every restraunt and butcher where I have worked and seen meat being processed used the white handle foodservice knives I mentioned. Those guys don't hold the best edge, but they can be professionally sharped weekly and thrown away.

One other thing I forgot to mention that could go unstated, but just to make sure: If you want something that will keep the absolute best edge, you want steel - not stainless steel. Stainless steel needs to be honed much more frequiently. On the good side, it doesn't rust. most any real knife afficianado will tell you that if you want a long blade life, don't buy SS. That being said, I have all SS blades.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Every restraunt and butcher where I have worked and seen meat being processed used the white handle foodservice knives I mentioned. Those guys don't hold the best edge, but they can be professionally sharped weekly and thrown away.

One other thing I forgot to mention that could go unstated, but just to make sure: If you want something that will keep the absolute best edge, you want steel - not stainless steel. Stainless steel needs to be honed much more frequiently. On the good side, it doesn't rust. most any real knife afficianado will tell you that if you want a long blade life, don't buy SS. That being said, I have all SS blades.

dmp
Tramontina has a line of food service knives. I bought a two pack at Sam's for under 20 bucks. They hold a nice edge and the set has a regular cutting and boning knife. A couple passes on the stone and then the steel to refine the edge and they are ready to go. These are what we use when we slaughter a hog from shaving the hair to cutting the hide for cracklins. We even use the boning knife to stick the pig and it doesn't bend or break. I have a set that I use in the kitchen as well. Not the best for things like veggies, as you can't chop very quickly due to the narrow blades, but they slice through meat nicely.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=207188
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives