MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Free wood is good wood

So through a chamber of commerce that I am a member of, i met someone who works at a furnature maker. They specialize in Cherry. He hooked me up with the owner, who gave me a box today of Cherry and White Oak scraps from their products. He said they also have a ton of maple when I want it.

They should never run out of scraps for me as long as the company is around, and the owner was a nice guy. In addition I found out that their home building company is building a house for my cousin, plus revavating a house for another cousin. So for the cash he is making off of them, he should be happy to give me scraps.

I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches.
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Score ! ! !

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Greg Kemp
Got Wood.

That's a good friend to have. You are a lucky dude. I've found that the biggest expense with free wood is hauling it, cutting it, chopping it...but... it's free!
I'm still lookin' for some free Ohia wood in the forest for Lawnranger to make me some more tools! hee!

http://hawaiiguava.com/communities/0...4509596215.jpg
Big Green Egg
Greg Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

motley que said: "I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches."

Sounds like the beginning of a strong alliance. All you should need is a good circular saw and a axe.

Next time, bring him some poultry. It's cheap, and you can provide him enough to feed his crew or family a meal.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Frisco_Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
motley que said: "I will bring him leftovers from Sat. On the menu: Brisket, 2 Chuck roasts, 2 BCC, 2 Fatties, and ABT's

The wood is in plank form so I will cut it with what limited tools I have, and get it in planks about 6 inches long by 2 inches."

Sounds like the beginning of a strong alliance. All you should need is a good circular saw and a axe.

Next time, bring him some poultry. It's cheap, and you can provide him enough to feed his crew or family a meal.
Do you not have to worry about the wood being pre-treated or anything like that?
[B][COLOR=darkred]Gig'em Aggies!
[/COLOR][/B]
Frisco_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Short of checking wax on the end pieces there wont' be any undesireable "stuff" on that type of wood.

The problem with it is, the kiln drying process removes a substantial part of the desireable compounds in the wood that provide flavor for cooking. It will still smell good when you burn it, and will impart some flavor to the meat, but no where near the flavor of proprely seasoned wood that hasn't been kiln dried.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote