Easter side dishes

B

BrooklynQ

Anyone have some suggestions besides the usaul potatoes, grilled asparagus, sting beans etc? Serving duck and turkey as the meats.

Candied yams, succotash, dirty rice, broccoli rice casserole, mac and cheese, blanched broccoli and red onions tossed in italian dressing, Garlic wasabi potatoes, roasted red potatoes, pasta with garlic and opal basil...

Is this enough or do you need more?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yams? Succotash? dirty rice? Mista - I'm noth of the Mason Dixon line. them food's too, shall we say, exotic! Broccoli? Bury that damn stuff.Mac and cheese - the kids only eat the stuff from the blue box!

But the dirty rice sounds like an idea - I've got a couple of fatties going in the cooker too. Got a recipe?

Oh but I disagree. Broccoli and rice casserole is good chit. You can leave the spinach in the garden though.

Sledneck said:
This is our holiday broccoli and rice dish:

1 pound bag of frozen broccoli
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 cups cooked white rice

Mix it up in a casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.

That's it. We call it fart salad.

I just bought a new Le Creuset "buffet" pan and think it will be a great pan for either a nice risotto, or a potato gratin. Either of which would go well as a side dish! Woody

"Yams? Succotash? dirty rice? Mista - I'm noth of the Mason Dixon line. them food's too, shall we say, exotic! Broccoli? Bury that damn stuff.Mac and cheese - the kids only eat the stuff from the blue box!"

I like Bagels and Chicago Pizza.
I am not hampered by "Regional Phobia" :lol:

Deviled Eggs and a biggo plate of fresh cut veggies!
Gotta have those in my house on the hollidays :lol:

TIM

After seeing the cous cous in the Chilean Sea Bass thread, I was thinking about whipping up a side of barley this weekend. Instead of water, we use chicken broth, and then a dash of hungarian paprika after plating.

Good stuff

Try this:

Candied Yams w/Marshmallows

4 pounds yams (or sweet potatoes), peeled and cut to large bite-sized pieces
2 cups orange juice
3 cups light corn syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 bag of Mini-Marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Boil yams until slightly underdone, to avoid breaking. Strain, cool and set aside.
In a large container whisk together orange juice, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and zest. In another bowl, whisk flour and both sugars together.
Put cooled yams in a deep baking dish, add dry ingredients and stir to coat. Pour liquid over yams and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cover with Mini-Marshmallows and bake for 5 more minutes.

Wife makes a zucchini (sp?) caserole. All I know is that it has the Vegies, Sour Cream and Onion Chips crushed over the top, and she will not tell what else.

thunter said:
Try this:

Candied Yams w/Marshmallows

4 pounds yams (or sweet potatoes), peeled and cut to large bite-sized pieces
2 cups orange juice
3 cups light corn syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 bag of Mini-Marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Boil yams until slightly underdone, to avoid breaking. Strain, cool and set aside.
In a large container whisk together orange juice, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and zest. In another bowl, whisk flour and both sugars together.
Put cooled yams in a deep baking dish, add dry ingredients and stir to coat. Pour liquid over yams and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cover with Mini-Marshmallows and bake for 5 more minutes.

Looks like a winner.

Bigmista said:
Candied yams, succotash, dirty rice, broccoli rice casserole, mac and cheese, blanched broccoli and red onions tossed in italian dressing, Garlic wasabi potatoes, roasted red potatoes, pasta with garlic and opal basil...

Is this enough or do you need more?

He forgot the copper pennies, which is the only way he can get me to eat carrots.

Kevin,

The recipie without the marshmallows I got from FoodNetwork.com. They seem to have a base recipie that is really close to what mamma used to make; then I added the marshmallows to finish mammas way of doing yams. I cook this alot. This is absolutely delicious!

One of my favorite sides, also quick and easy...

Cut the flowers off a cauliflower and add to a baking dish. Crush several cloves of garlic and add to the dish. Drizzle with EVOO, add salt and pepper, then bake at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Great roasted cauliflower (I like broccoflower even more, but cook it a few minutes less).

If I were doing fancy duck, I would get some metal rings, about 4-5 inches across, and lay several on a cookie sheet. Then I'd very thinly slice peeled russet potatoes, and arrange a layer in a nice pattern in each ring, add porcini mushrooms that have been rehydrated along with fresh rosemary, do another layer of potatoes, another layer of mushrooms/rosemary, and top it with a layer of potatoes. Brush some melted butter on top, and back at 350 until the the potatoes are done. Then I'd put the potatoes on the plate, and add the duck on top, and put a drizzle of wine reduction sauce around the outside of the whole thing. But that's just me. :)

Back