UDS charcoal basket?

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How big should I make my charcoal basket. I'm thinking 18"Ø X12" high. I'm using ¾" 13Ga expanded metal. Am I doing in the right direction?

That size would probably run 2 full days!

Shorten the sides or make a smaller ring for shorter cooks that can be dropped in!

i have a big basket in mine and i would not have it any other way. for short cooks just dont put so much in. i always fill mine up then when done i shut it down and hve plenty left in there for my next cook. lie she said bigger is always better. (thats how i build things anyways )

The baskets they had this weekend for the drums were about 12" round and maybe 12" tall and 4-5" off the bottom of the drum.

18" dia. seems a little big.

My basket is 16" in diameter and 8" high while my ash pan is 18" in diameter. My ash pan sits on the bottom of the drum and I have 3.5" risers that attach the basket to the ashpan. See the UDS main thread for pics of mine.

Mine is 17" x 8". I use a 17" Weber OTS charcoal grate for the bottom, and the ring is wired to it.

2498022949_607fd9906b.jpg

John

DC-Q, I'm with Bubba on the basket. I cannot imagine ever needing close to that much fuel in a drum. All of mine are about 14-15 X 7 and never need more volume of fuel for anything I have smoked. Our area is prone to a lot of humidity at times and can mess with unburned fuel sitting outside. Not a big problem as I try to fire the bad boy up often but have noticed the fuel doesn't burn as consistant sometimes if left in the drum too long. Good luck brother.

Mine is 17" (weber charcoal grate) X 8" with the grate wired in 3" above the bottom. Holds more then enough.

Attachments

• DSC02498.jpg
    DSC02498.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 663
Thanx for the input guys I have a charcoal grate from the uni-flame cheapo weber knock-off I picked up at walmart for the lid, so that will be perfect. Why the ash pan? Can't you just vacuum the ashes out of the bottom of the drum afterwards?:-?

If you had one that is wide and short would it not spread the heat out farther than a smaller and taller.I would think that the wide one would catch more dippings and make less mess.

Yes...you can just use a shop vac tro get the ashes out but this way allows you to pull it out and dump the ashes...6 one way half dozen another

Yes...you can just use a shop vac to get the ashes out but this way allows you to pull it out and dump the ashes...6 one way half dozen another

Here is mine before it's first use. Shiny. Weber grate 13 1/3" dia., 12" tall expando, cover to a 30 gal. barrel as an ash catcher and a handle to pull it all out. When full this will hold 20 lbs. of briquettes so it is never full, but the extra height gives an ability to put a grate on top and sear whatever you may want to sear without firing up an extra grill. As to a shop vac for ash removal. These barrels do produce a certain amount of condensation, especially on long cooks, which flows to the bottom. Any ash down there will get wet and turn into a clump o' goo. The tray catches all of the ash and makes for a very easy cleanup.

PICT0030.jpg

Here is a shot after a cook, ash in catcher and none in the drum.

PICT0003-5.jpg

PICT0004-6.jpg

Have fun building and what works for me may not be for you, and that's OK.

I've been meaning to build a larger basket. Mine is 14 x 6, but when I put the clay pot base in as a diffuser, my cook times are greatly reduced. I can get 4 - 5 hours out of lump and 6 - 7 hours out of briq.

OK cool. Thanx for all the help. 1 more thing, exactly how do you go about lighting it? Just load the basket then dump in a chimney of burning charcaol into it? Or is there a better way?

There is always a better way. Just haven't thought of it yet.
What i do:

* Load up basket with lump and wood chunks
* Put 8-10 briquettes in a chimney and light them
* When briquettes are ready pour them into the basket keeping them in a
tight pile towards the center.
*Lift the basket and lower it into the barrel, do not add the lit briqs to a
basket already in the barrel unless you enjoy hot embers in the face and
eyes!
*Let things warm up a for a few minutes then put on cover to drum.
*Adjust intakes

This works for me.

I use the coffe can method.

I have a coffee can with the top and bottom removed and wire handle attached. I place the coffee can tube in the middle of my basket and fill charcoal around the can. I dump a chimney of lit into the can and then pull the can out. The fire burns outward in all directions. It might be over kill but I get good results every time. I also fill the basket with lump but I start briquettes in the chimney, both Royal Oak.

i just fill my basket and then put briquettes into chimney and then light chimney after about 15 min. when they are ready i dump the chimney full into center of basket. simple and easy. hint: for hotter burn add more briquettes into chimney for long low temps just a few.

you guys r the best. I'm trying to get it done to do my 1st cook this sat. (I'm cooking 4 butts, 3 spares, 10# of wings ,and a meatloaf) I was gonna do the spares and the loaf on the UDS n the butts & wings on my lil tex's. the project itself is nothing I just have a ton of other things goin on this week so I'm not sure if it's gonna happen. I may have to do them on the 500. I'll keep ya posted.

Back