• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What Stove / Oven

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well our Oven took a crap and we will need to replace.

What stove / Oven do you reccomend / Features you like or dislike?

Currently we had a ceramic top electric.

MSD liked the double oven we had before.

Thinking of maybe gas stove / Electric oven

What you say Brethren?

This may turn into a kitchen remodel?????

Budget is obviously the defining thing here. All my suggestions start over $15k. Was an investment like that what you had in mind?

What would we get for $15K

By the time you get it, and get a fan for it, they mega ranges all end up around that number. But there are a few great manufacturers. I like Wolf a lot but the capital culinarian are amazing. My parents have a 60" viking but have had lots of trouble with it.

I've been drooling over this range.

Obviously there are TONS of options under this price. Just really wondering what budget range you are looking at. For my place I have an electric GE I got in the 2k range lol. It does have a double oven even though it's just a standard sized range and I love having that option.

I'd go gas. More BTUs and the temperature control is instant.

Not needed though, if you don't have gas run then electric works well enough.

I've Chef'ed a few private events over the years and I was always happy to see a Wolf range upon arrival. Great burners.

We went with this one from Kitchenaid:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/major-appliances-1/ranges-2/ranges-3/-[KDRU767VSS]-402112/KDRU767VSS/

36" 6 burner model, #1 rated on Consumer Reports. It also has a water line hook up for a steam feature when making cheesecakes, etc. Haven't used that function yet though. It also is a convection oven which makes SWMBO happy at how evenly cookies and the like cook, even when putting three sheets of cookies in at once. We looked at Wolf and Viking and while they certainly are easy on the eyes, CR hits them pretty hard.

We bought it from Plessers.com, and got it for around $6400 or so, with no sales tax, and a free 10 year parts warranty. Hard to say no to that.

The install cost $800 as my gas guy had to run a larger line from the tank to the boiler due to the BTU's this stove draws. The hood, backsplash, and fan cost another $2K, and it will be $600 for the vent duct in the ceiling to vent the hood outside.

All told, I am into this thing for about $10K, which is less than I would've paid for a Viking or Wolf.

MSD was looking at a GE that is a gas stove and double oven that is convection About $3K standard size but high btu burners.

I know nothing about convection

Here are a couple screen captures from CR for 30" and 36" pro style ranges

723501e1447f4cb2df22bfb5364e91ff_zpskqawdlom.jpg

4895b069136fd46e6506700cc0d493d5_zpslefzqikx.jpg

I went from an electric stove/oven to a gas stove/oven and will never go back to an electric again. I did have gas piped into my kitchen by a friend for $100. He only had to tap into an existing gas line about 6 feet away, all done from the basement, so labor was minimal. Ours is a Whirlpool 5 burner with a grill in the middle. Love it and have had no problems with it in 3 years. Paid about $550 for it if I remember right.

Omar

She'll like the convection feature. My mom got a double oven from fridgidaire that has convection and loves it. I'm told that the good gas ovens also have an electric element for more even heating/baking.

We have a 5 burner Bosch and love it, but nothing anywhere near the 15K mark. I would probably be looking at Wolf or Viking if I had that kind of scratch to burn.

Are you looking for one unit that's both oven and stove top? or would you put the ovens in the wall and put a stovetop on the counter?

All in one unit.

She does not want a remodel yet so it looks like a 30"

Yes Wolf would be the best option if price was not an option but it looks like she wants the GE C2S985 and We can afford that right now

$3K gas top / convection oven with a small double oven.

She is the Queen of indoor cookin and I am the king of outdoor cookin ( and outdoor drinking!) She is damn good at out door also!

She is gonna choose and I get to spend time under the house running a gas line!

I really like gas stoves. Just love cooking over fire I guess. lol

I have a gas stove with an oven and a double wall oven that is convection and electric. I use the heck out of both.

That looks great! You had electric previously? That stove says it requires a 220 plug...

All in one unit.

She does not want a remodel yet so it looks like a 30"

Yes Wolf would be the best option if price was not an option but it looks like she wants the GE C2S985 and We can afford that right now

$3K gas top / convection oven with a small double oven.

She is the Queen of indoor cookin and I am the king of outdoor cookin ( and outdoor drinking!) She is damn good at out door also!

She is gonna choose and I get to spend time under the house running a gas line!

That's the gas upgrade from the one I have. It's a really nice unit. She will love it.

Yep - Electric before.

Checking all the clearance specs for installation and likly the one.

Back