Another Pastrami or 3

Blackened

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
First time I've made pastrami out of the point section, but they were on sale for $1.47 so I thought I would give it a shot.

1 for pastrami for me, one for my son, and one for pastrami hash.

snowpastrami015.jpg

They took about 7 hours @ 225. Foiled at 150 and took them to 190.

tritip003.jpg

Refrigerated overnight and slice the next day..

pastrami006.jpg

Pastrami hash

pastrami008.jpg

pastrami010.jpg

The points are a little fattier obviously, but definitely worked, and you can't beat the price..

pastrami015.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Point meat makes bada$$ fatty pastrami. Well done!

Appreciate the pron - how bout the recipe? Standard pastrami rub or something different? Looks great!

I just picked up four more corned beef points in the 3lb. range last night for $1.49/lb and will throw them on the UDS this weekend. I'm curious about the rub too as I was planning on just doing a coarse-grind pepper rub and leave it at that.

I guess you would say it's a standard pastrami rub..

1/2 cup whole black peppercorns
2 TBS coriander seeds
1 tsp each dry mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder

I use a coffee grinder to grind the peppercorn and coriander.. one of these time's I'm going to experiment with mustard seed.

Double that recipe was enough to coat 3 briskets liberally.

:clap2::thumb:

Nice!

Not that I've investigated a whole lot, but I haven't seen brisket points for sale without being attached as a whole packer. Is that what you bought?

:clap2::thumb:

Nice!

Not that I've investigated a whole lot, but I haven't seen brisket points for sale without being attached as a whole packer. Is that what you bought?

I should have explained that these were corned briskets, the ones you buy in brine. The point cuts are usually cheaper than the flats. $1.47 compared to $2.19 this time around..

img16990871697.jpg

I should have explained that these were corned briskets, the ones you buy in brine. The point cuts are usually cheaper than the flats. $1.47 compared to $2.19 this time around..

Did you soak them at all? If not did you find them to be way too salty?

Did you soak them at all? If not did you find them to be way too salty?

I soaked these for 24 hours, changing the water every few hours or so. Definitely makes a difference. My first couple of pastrami's I simply rinsed and rubbed, and while they were still tasty, they were pretty salty.

I have refrained from buying any of teh corned briskets that are on sale because I have never had any that weren't insanly salty. I might buy a couple today while they are on sale and soak them.

I have refrained from buying any of teh corned briskets that are on sale because I have never had any that weren't insanly salty. I might buy a couple today while they are on sale and soak them.

I've heard of guys soaking for up to 3 days. 24 hours does it for me, but if you're sensitive to salt for health reasons or otherwise, you could always soak longer..

Back