MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wsm mini or mini uds

So I've got 1/2 dozen smokes on my wsm 22 and I can see where a mini would prove extremely useful for smaller cooks (most times just me & the mrs).

I love the weber products and I'm sure that building an wsm mini would be easier in terms of finding parts but I am also very interested in the ugly drums.

Mud build threads are challenging to find (compared to mini wsm) anyone have any links, advice, experience, opinions?

Thank you.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

As far as a mini UDS goes...mount the upper grate as high as possible (just below the rim of the drum) if you're gonna use a Weber lid.
The lower grate should be low enough to put a whole chicken (unspatchcocked) between the 2 grates.
Make your charcoal basket not too tall but wide.
If you want a diPhuser...mount it in.
A mini isn't much of a difference in build compaired to the 55 gallon UDS.
I hope this will helps you a bit and if not others will chime in.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Last edited by Phubar; 12-29-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you are just cooking for 2 the wsm mini is really easy to build and easy to use. All you need is a drill. That's it, and you can build it. Using it is just as easy as building one. It is great for 1-2 pork butts, chicken, ribs (if you dont mind cutting the racks in half) and you can do brisket flats (whole packers are a challenge since space is limited) With 1 load of coal I can go 6-8hrs if not longer. It can hold temps as low as 225 and I have gotten mine up to 350 degrees.

I love my wsm mini as I cook normally for myself and sometimes my roommate.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Agreed, I think the most difficult thing with a midi UDS is actually finding a 30-35 gallon drum. If you can do that, I would make the midi. I really like mine and it's big enough to smoke a turkey. I smoked a 14 pound bird on it for Christmas. I have 3 rack positions. One just over the charcoal basket for a diffuser (or a 1/4 roasting pan to catch drippings). Then a rack in the middle and one just below the top. I have a 18 inch kettle lid as the top.

For the charcoal basket, I wrapped expanded metal around a 18 inch weber charcoal grate.

I have seen 30 gallon drums with Mobil 1 logo's at my local oil change place...may be a good place to check? Buying a new one is expensive.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
...and you can do brisket flats (whole packers are a challenge since space is limited)...
You can do a whole packer on a mini-WSM...

This 15+ lb. packer was done on a mini WSM. I just folded it over and then mid-way through the cook folded it the other direction.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

i built a midi uds from a drum I bought from Zoro tools online for about $60 I think. Mailed to my door, liner was real easy to get rid of. Maybe this is useful for you : http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133467

But I thought you mentioned a mini UDS in which case you need a 16 gallon drum and a Smokey Joe lid. Don't know if Zoro has those. It seems the smaller size drums are a real pain to come by.

Good luck!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

I love my mini wsm. It was super easy to build, cheap, and cooks like a champ. It is perfect for me to throw in the trunk of my little toyota corolla.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post

This 15+ lb. packer was done on a mini WSM. I just folded it over and then mid-way through the cook folded it the other direction.

I will have to give this a go then!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...7/P1010006.jpg
That is a beauty! Wouldnt happen to have a pic of it on the mini?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Edward Alt
Got Wood.

Here's some pics of my miniWSM and how I've loaded packers ...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?3522...l=1#post352299

However, I prefer to smoke packers HH on the UDS putting in a foil pan and covering at 160 ...
Weber 26" Kettle
Fireboard
Maverick
Thermapen
KCBS
Edward Alt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
i built a midi uds from a drum I bought from Zoro tools online for about $60 I think. Mailed to my door, liner was real easy to get rid of. Maybe this is useful for you : http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133467

But I thought you mentioned a mini UDS in which case you need a 16 gallon drum and a Smokey Joe lid. Don't know if Zoro has those. It seems the smaller size drums are a real pain to come by.

Good luck!
Wow, your all terrain uds is a work of art! Nice yard to fire her up in also.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfletcher84 View Post
I love my mini wsm. It was super easy to build, cheap, and cooks like a champ. It is perfect for me to throw in the trunk of my little toyota corolla.
Yeah, I'm going to keep looking around (plenty of time for tht with this New England weather), but ill prob build a wsm mini while I continue my search for a 16 gallon drum.

All the parts for the wsm Mini cost less than just a 16 gallon barrel.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
When faced with a brisket that would not fit the 14" grate on my mini, I just cut the brisket in half and used both grates. Is there a reason not to do that or would that one still not have fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Yeah, I'm going to keep looking around (plenty of time for tht with this New England weather), but ill prob build a wsm mini while I continue my search for a 16 gallon drum.

All the parts for the wsm Mini cost less than just a 16 gallon barrel.
I don't understand the "plenty of time" comment. you could be smoking tomorrow.

I love my mini. I think I use it more than my 18 WSM. (And I've had a 22 for several days now and haven't used it yet. But with brisket, pulled pork and spare ribs already smoked and in the freezer... Maybe I should buy a small flock of chickens. I think I could fit 8 or 10 in the 22. )
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
That is a beauty! Wouldnt happen to have a pic of it on the mini?
I didn't get a photo of it on the mini, but I basically did what bigabyte did in his brisket tutorial. In fact, looking at his brisket tutorial (where he folded his brisket over) is what gave me the idea in the first place.

Here is a link to bigabyte's tutorial:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Here is the photo from his tutorial that gave me the thought that I could actually do a packer in a mini-WSM:

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
When faced with a brisket that would not fit the 14" grate on my mini, I just cut the brisket in half and used both grates. Is there a reason not to do that or would that one still not have fit?
No reason.

Mostly just me being lazy, TBH.