MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Default Our first comp turn in pics - please comment

The following are pics of our first competition turn ins.

Chicken - we were just happy to get it turned in on time without scoring a DQ for not getting it done. Looking at the pic, I see a corner without parsley and yes, the piece in the upper right is smaller - thus the bunch of parsley there.

Ribs - would you have added some parsley in the lower left corner?

Pork - we really didn't have a clue here, shreaded, chunked, sliced ... any help would be appreciated. I generaly shread when making at home, but I feared it would turn to mush as I sauced it. Maybe I should have added sauce and used a couple forks to shread it some more after the sauce.

Brisket - we were very happy with how this looked in the turn in box compared to how it looked an hour before

Boondoggle BBQ - the Boondoggle brothers take a minute for a pic. We had a great time, meet some fine people, learned a few things and are both very tired.

Please comment on the presentation of each. I'll post our results for each after I get a few comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken turn in2.JPG (75.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg rib turn in2.JPG (98.4 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg pork turn in2.JPG (70.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg brisket turn in2.JPG (91.0 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Boondoogle BBQ2.JPG (57.9 KB, 279 views)
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

definately better than 13th place chicken for sure
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not bad overall...

Chicken looks like maybe some skin is pulled back but really looks appetizing to me. Try for a little more consistency in size and shape.

Ribs - I don't see much wrong with appearance other than the gap between the back two bones. I also quit turning bones on their side and started scoring a bit better.

Pork - sliced does better in the KC area. Think about trying that next time. I'm a pulled pork fan though so I would be fine with this. Trouble is, everyone can make a pile of pulled pork look good so the competition is a bit tougher here.

Brisket - Not a fan of how you chose to place it in the box... too much empty space at the upper left. Appears to be a couple of places where the bark is broken on the first slice. It may just be my personal preference but I like to TRY to keep all slices close to the same length.

On all boxes, I think you over-did the garnish. It looks "bushy" and a bit sloppy. Keep it inside the box!

Pretty decent work for your first contest... keep working at it and after ten or so contests, compare your turn-in pictures to these... you'll laugh at yourself! I know I did when I compared mine.

Oops... almost forgot to critique the final photo... you look too damned sober! Drink more beer!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

i think the brisket slices should of been cut on one size to make them all a more uniform length
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree that there is too much garnish. It shouldn't hang over the side of the box

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I think the Chicken looked good in the box, may have sit down just a bit low in the box but not too bad.
Ribs- first thing that caught my eye was the rib at the top. It looks like a different size. Try to keep them all from the same rack if possiable.
Pork- the meat looks good. the greens are spilling over the edge of the box.
Brisket- again, I think the meat looks good and the greens are spilling over the box. Also,try and get even overlap with each slice. And if possiable, add burnt ends. They seem to always score higher for me.
Overall - nice job. What were your scores?

p.s. I would agree with Jeff, looking too sober in the last pic.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Overall nice looking boxes. In addition to the comments above, I'd add these...

Chicken - pin back the skin with toothpicks while cooking to keep it from pulling back. Keep track of the toothpicks!

Ribs - The look great. You can improve a little by lining hte upper left rib up with the rest. Also, I think that laying ribs in their side exposes you to the judges thinking that the meat looks dry, even if it isn't

Pork - My first reation was "too much sauce", but that's probably not enough to get it knocked down. It looks like you started to do a ring of bark around the bark but didn' finish it. A ring of nice bark pieces would look good.

Brisket - it looks moist and shiny! I't hit that! . Try to keep th eslices the same length. It looks neater.

Nice job!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Chicken - pin back the skin with toothpicks while cooking to keep it from pulling back. Keep track of the toothpicks!

One other comment on pinning with toothpicks. Do not use colored toothpicks otherwise the color will bleed into the meat. Had a friend that ran into that problem.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I have never competed in KCBS but everything looked real good to me. I liked the brisket with the nice even smoke ring. It did look too moist for what we do here in IBCA. We probably would have had to soak up that juice with a paper towel at the turn-in table. The chicken looked real good, but one piece (lower left) looked like it was missing some skin and lower right looks like the skin shrunk too far back too. I think the ribs looked great. That one piece on the top does look off kilter but I think it is just the way it is sitting in the box. I honestly didn't like the way the pulled pork looked. It actually looked like chunked pork and not shredded enough to be considered pulled to my liking. All that said, because you asked, everything looks awesome and it looks like it tasted very very good.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I do not normally comment on pics of turn-ins.
And that is just a personal decision about cameras and all of that

In this case:
Please remember-- it is a meat contest and not a garnish contest.
Too much garnish will take away the beauty of the meat.
If you elect to garnish, it should just frame, highlight, or compliment the meat.
It should not be the focus or "draw the eye" (for good or bad) of the beholder.

Just some thoughts.

TIM

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
i think the brisket slices should of been cut on one size to make them all a more uniform length
For once, I will agree with Steve (other than his lack of chicken cooking skills )

As a Judge and Competitor, I try for and like to see slices that are from the same brisket and presented in the original order.

Whether they are trimmed on one or both sides before or after cooking, or they just wind up in order is immaterial to me.

Chad and I have trimmed both sides, just one side, or not at all. It really depends on the brisket selected and it's width.
We do try to make each peice "stack" on the next with the same amount of meat showing--just attention to detail.

The top flight entries will be from the same brisket, presented in order, with some good looking organization.

JMHO.

TIM

Old 05-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I would have added that perhaps you could have pre-trimmed your brisket and it would have came out with a more uniform look.

One thing I can say about IBCA is that I am glad we do not garnish. I also like that we turn in the half chickens. I am starting to appreciate that more and more as I read and view these KCBS turn-ins.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
I would have added that perhaps you could have pre-trimmed your brisket and it would have came out with a more uniform look.

One thing I can say about IBCA is that I am glad we do not garnish. I also like that we turn in the half chickens. I am starting to appreciate that more and more as I read and view these KCBS turn-ins.
Yeah, the garnish is a "nut-roll" issue in KCBS.
Stroing and valid feelings on both sides of the fence there.

FBA is like your TX folks--"it be about the meat"
But, that presents it's own challenges also

Then jump over to MIM and you get a whole new set of standards and expectations

CEE LA VIE----???

I guess, pick something ya like and go cook!
Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
spicewine
Babbling Farker

First off , Great looking First turn ins!!! You are definately on the right track!! Very smart of you to ask for opinions, if you are sincere about the answers that you will get.

My answer to all of the pix is that , make the meat the show case and not the garnish. Fill the box with as much ( same size ) pieces that you can without crowding the box. I use very little garnish in my boxes so that I can build a monument to meat that when the judges see it, it's the meat they remember and not the garnish. Chicken--- same size pieces!! Ribs-----nice box but co-ordinate size. Pork--- Show more bark!! Brisket---- More pieces, more uniform in size.

Just my 2 cents but what the hell do I know!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've noticed most of the above comments say too much garnish and I agree fully. Let the meat standout, not the greens. Plus think about this, what happens to the turn in box after you try to close it with this much garnish, in other words what does it look like when it is opened at the judges table. (Did sauce get all over the lettuce and make it look sloppy or did the meat shift in the box.) I've seen this happen. Anyways the meat did look real good and I bet tasted better you did good on your first time out. JMO

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote