MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #76
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggysmalls View Post
Care to share what "Lexington" style bbq is and how one might go about replicating it? Living in KC, I like to try all different bbq styles from different regions.
North Carolina is divided into two major styles

West (aka Lexington aka Piedmont) is whole shoulder + a vinegar sauce with a touch of tomato

East (aka Almighty God's BBQ) is whole hog with a vinegar pepper sauce (same thing sans tomato)

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #77
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
North Carolina is divided into two major styles

West (aka Lexington aka Piedmont) is whole shoulder + a vinegar sauce with a touch of tomato

East (aka Almighty God's BBQ) is whole hog with a vinegar pepper sauce (same thing sans tomato)

Don't rule out whole hogs for western style, either-there are a lot of western-style cooks who like to roast whole hogs.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #78
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Don't rule out whole hogs for western style, either-there are a lot of western-style cooks who like to roast whole hogs.
NC's just a bad place to be a hog huh?

I'm surprised the local Chick-fil-a doesn't have pigs holding signs saying "Eat Moar Chiken"

Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #79
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkw View Post
It would have definitely been interesting to have seen whole hog on the NC episode, but it probably wasn't in the budget.
Well, they seem to be handing out wagyu briskets, and plenty of racks of ribs to the cooks.... so 3 hogs shouldn't have been that expensive. Besides, I would like to see them have ONE item to cook and turn in...... Being able to cook 5 racks of ribs, on 3 separate pits, only to turn in 3 singles is a little lopsided.

In a comp, you are competing against 30, 40 or more teams, so cooking several of the same items is insurance... but these guys are cooking against 2 other teams.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #80
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm gonna try tuffy's 250 for 5 hours whole shoulder it should be nice and tender! They mut have cut him off before he was able to say the I wrap and cook for 5 more hours...