That is what I did. I lit 10 coals in my chimney and dumped it in my basket, with one valve open. Do you think it is my top venting?
Shouldn't matter if the top leaks or not. Combustion air needs to come in from the bottom – my exhaust is wide open and has never had a valve. I can completely smother the fire by closing the intake valves below...

I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?

I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?
I posted a similar request this week in the tech section and have not heard a thing... This thread has gotten pretty unwieldy.

New UDS & I need seasoning tips..

Hello, I read most all of this long thread and now have a nice new UDS. I didnt see much on break in or first use. How do I season it? What kind of oil should I use or should I use PAM?? How long do I let it burn in with no food in it. I have a new unlined drum.
Thanks for any tips!

I used PAM and just ran a full basket of brick through it with the vents wide open. That's hotter than you'll ever get it with food. After it was cool (next day) I did my first cook and haven't touched it since.

harrisdel
ok, so yesterday i drove about 4293.874 miles to go get drums that were already incinerated and sand blasted. well, ok, only 110 miles each way. and i did get to meet smokin' d (aka - richard) who has the coolest mini off-set. i did not know i needed one until i saw that little piece of art. friggin' awesome!

ok, back on track, so i get the already prepped drums, drive 9 million miles home and immediately paint the exteriors.

today, i needed to be productive in the yard because, well, it is trying to grow. i found this stuff called round up that will make my yard work much easier this summer. you guys should try it!

ok, focus.... anyway, i was able to get everything but the charcoal basket done today. i have the important items done..... beer opener and hose-barb thermometer mod!

skidder (aka - bob) dropped by with some valves and other parts that i will use on my next drum. thanks again bob....

this one has a 1" intake raised and using the magnet valve mod. lower openings are 3/4" nipples with screw caps. i have not installed handles nor have i decided on whether to go with 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 openings on the lid. when using multiple openings, what does everyone use for a cap? i like the idea of drinking a bunch of wine and saving the corks!

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

cheers,

scott

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/harrisdel/?action=view&current=dsc08547.jpg&newest=1

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.

Salmon on a UDS

I'm not quite done with my UDS but I could use some tips.

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).

She will be happy with ribs and other things I intend on doin' up in the new toy, but if I could present her with some good salmon she may feel a little better about the whole idea.

I thought that salmon was usually cold smoked but I'm sure somebody out there has made some on a UDS. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.

thermometer is from wally-world in the bbq dept for $5... a turkey fryer unit. hose barb is yet another harbor freight item... how would we get by without them? :)

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).

that makes them cook better!! a pretty one will not work!!:wink::wink::biggrin:

Let's talk paint.

The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz

Well it is not a UDS, but it is what you are looking for Thawley. If you like I have more pics and can post those along with some mini cooks.

Here is Cooper, the Mini reverse flow smoker

PICT0008-1.jpg
That is just way too cool!!! I really really really want one of those. Oh, did I mentrion it is just way too cool.

The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz

As far as paint goes, I dont think we really need anything high heat on these... I have been having good luck with Rustoleum and spraying it... a quart can will do about 4 drums using my handy HF touch up gun.. its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Hey Masiewiz,
Here is a pic of my paint job and my mistake on my second smoke where I left the lid off a bit to long.

The UDS has a base coat of 1500* black BBQ paint and the top coat is a Rustoleum metal paint. As you can see the black is fine and the red got a bit toasted. Depending on what you want colorwise, I would go with black base and the engine paint for a top coat and be careful not to leave the lid off and let the temp spike on you.

Attachments

• DSC02525.jpg
    DSC02525.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,216
  • DSC02756.jpg
    DSC02756.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,217
Back