MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Scottt
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default First butt question

I'm planning on smoking my first pork butt this weekend and I was thinking of soaking it in a brine over night. Is this a good idea or not? Pros and cons?
Thank you for any input.
Scottt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

waste of time

Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I wouldn't waste your time. A butt has enough internal fat to keep it moist, and they are typically thick enough that it would take more than overnight for the brine to penetrate.

If you want to get more flavor inside you can inject. Chris Lilly's injection is a good starting point, but most guys cut back on the salt.

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
strame

Default Brine it!

I brine all pork, chicken and turkey. Butts and whole turkeys overnight in a cooler with ice water and chicken pieces for a few hours. If you have any doubts, try grilling 8 pork chops. Brine 4 of them then grill all 8 together with only you knowing which is which. Let people blind taste them and see what the results are. You MUST rinse them very well before seasoning. Just my .02...
I also inject my butts with Cherry Coke. Sounds strange but works well.
strame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

My opinon is no need, just inject if you want, rub it down and toss it in the smoker.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by strame View Post
I brine all pork, chicken and turkey. Butts and whole turkeys overnight in a cooler with ice water and chicken pieces for a few hours. If you have any doubts, try grilling 8 pork chops. Brine 4 of them then grill all 8 together with only you knowing which is which. Let people blind taste them and see what the results are. You MUST rinse them very well before seasoning. Just my .02...
Chops are a lot different than a butt. I brine pork chops and loin. Those are lean cuts that benefit from the added moisture.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Bigrolltide1877
On the road to being a farker

I usually inject with apple juice and coat the butt with mustard then coat it with rub and let it set overnight in the fridge.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Scottt

Thanks for all the advice. And thank you for the injection recipe. I guess I won't be brining but I will be turning my butt into a junkie. LOL
Scottt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Since this is your first butt, I would cook it normally (rub and smoke). After you sample it, make the additions/corrections for next time.

Or...since Stater Brothers has butts for 1.49/lb this week, buy two and inject one. Then you can compare the difference right off the bat.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
strame

Default Now you did it!

Great, now I am forced to take my own advice and smoke some butts side by side. One brined, one not and compare. That means all day watching a fire and drinking beer... Sigh.
strame is offline   Reply With Quote