MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #16
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post
where did you get those clamps? that steel is very thick. im surprised you could slam 2 screws in that lid to attach those clamps.

I found em on Amazon. It was just a matter of drilling four holes per clamp. Your's may not leak, but on pipe smokers the door will " spring " or warp , its pretty common. I had about a 1/4" opening on the lower left corner.

On Moberg's $4,000 backyard smoker, they welded three bars on the inside of the door to try to prevent warps. IDK if that's effective.

Moberg also uses this style of clamp on their large 500 and 1,000 gal smokers, when the customer asks for the door to be balanced by counter weights.

And I forgot to mention, I've also installed TelTru thermos at grate level on each end. But I'm wishing now I'd put them farther apart. I spaced them 9" from the door handle, but the one on stack end could easily be another 2" apart.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Here's what Moberg does , vid should start talking about smoke chamber ..

https://youtu.be/gBNX69hbWmM?t=336

Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #18
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

The clamps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post
Went to academy sports today to see what the big deal is with this smoker. I will say the build quality is about 60%. The steel is thick and the smoker is heavy as hell! I got 25% off with free shipping. if you want these smokers from academy sports you better get them while you can because according to corporate they're sick of having to deal with quality control issues. Lots of metal shavings and welding overspray. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a sander and blast the whole smoker and then go back and respray it with high heat paint. I will say this, this smoker is heavy. It's got the way 700 lbs

Are they quality control issues with the Brazos or all Old Country Smokers?
The Pecos at $400 and a rebate might could help me figure out if I could handle a stick burner....dreaming...
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2021, 04:45 AM   #20
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Here's what Moberg does , vid should start talking about smoke chamber ..

https://youtu.be/gBNX69hbWmM?t=336
I just ordered those clamps off Amazon. Do you use the sealant tape and the high temp silicone along with those clamps? I'm also curious about the pop extension what did you do with the the damper cover? You just leave your exhaust wide open? I ordered me some weird Hammer chipping chisel that's used for getting rid of weld spatter I don't have to do it but I guess I'm a perfectionist and I want this thing to look I also ordered some tuning plates off eBay saw some video where a guy used seven tuning plates to get even cooking temperatures. Anyways, I can't wait to get this smoker! And... You've been a huge help. I also ordered a firebox from LSG
mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #21
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

"in for a penny, in for a pound"

Ought to be a fun little journey. Keep us up on your progress.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #22
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Well, you could've waited on the clamps till ya find out if you have a sprung door. As Sonny Moberg explained, the pipe is rolled differently. When the door is cut out, if there's tension in the pipe, then the door springs.

I used the Lava Lock RTV silicon, what I had was red in color, but they make it in clear and black, wish I'd used black. Lay a bead on the cook chamber, all the way around, cover with plastic wrap, and then close the lid.

I bought tuning plates from Old Country, but honestly, they're more trouble than worth. Adjusting those plates just adds another variable. I've ran biscuit tests with them and without them, and really, moving the meats around has worked better for me. And after doing multiple biscuit tests, I quit worrying about end-to-end temps because that does not really tell the story of what's happening in cook chamber.

I always have the stack wide open, never close it. I used tin snips to cut around the damper. IDK why Old Country put such a short stack on this smoker, maybe it lowered shipping costs , IDK ?

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #23
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

I picked up 1 a few months back from academy also. I picked the best out of the 2 there which wasn't saying much. Everything about the smoker was out of square. Chamber door had huge gaps. Luckily I got mine for 750$ because it was miss labeled. Sold it and made most of money back. I will say I understand why people say stick burners are the best because the 1 brisket I cooked was the best I've ever done.

Went to academy last week and saw they had a smokehouse. It was put together much. Thinking about picking it up.
Hinds15 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #24
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Wondered about that wide, stubby exhaust. Figured it must work ok- or they would have changed the design- even if they had to go with a bolt on. who knows?

not sure I'd ever pay for a Brazos- but if a "gently used" Pecos comes across CL, I might have to take a look see.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2021, 05:17 AM   #25
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Well, you could've waited on the clamps till ya find out if you have a sprung door. As Sonny Moberg explained, the pipe is rolled differently. When the door is cut out, if there's tension in the pipe, then the door springs.

I used the Lava Lock RTV silicon, what I had was red in color, but they make it in clear and black, wish I'd used black. Lay a bead on the cook chamber, all the way around, cover with plastic wrap, and then close the lid.

I bought tuning plates from Old Country, but honestly, they're more trouble than worth. Adjusting those plates just adds another variable. I've ran biscuit tests with them and without them, and really, moving the meats around has worked better for me. And after doing multiple biscuit tests, I quit worrying about end-to-end temps because that does not really tell the story of what's happening in cook chamber.

I always have the stack wide open, never close it. I used tin snips to cut around the damper. IDK why Old Country put such a short stack on this smoker, maybe it lowered shipping costs , IDK ?

With that flute extension you have if I went that route, I would spray paint it flat black high temperature paint.
mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 AM   #26
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I've thought about it but never got around to it, I don't worry much about aesthetics