MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Discussion Thread -> "Appetizer & Entree Duo!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Our new TD category is...

"Appetizer & Entree Duo!"

This was robbq's winning entry the 2015
"Game Day Appetizers" TD. Try and beat that, folks!

As chosen by code3rrt for winning the "It Came From the Sea, Part 2" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING:

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt
Next throwdown: The Entree`and the Appetizer Throwdown.

Each dish just has to meet the throwdown rules. Photos of each must be featured in the entry thread, and must be in the entry photo. Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense! What could possibly go wrong?

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/3 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/13/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/13.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 04-13-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Smile Yucatan Cochinita Pibil

This is my entry into the "Appetizer & Entree Duo" throwdown.

I had just seen a YouTube video on Yucatan cooking where they buried a whole baby pig in the ground which is called Cochinita Pibil. A few days later a friend of my just happened to make a version of it. That did it for me and I just had to try it.

Here are the ingredients for the marinade and the pickled onion:

I took a 8.5 lb. pork shoulder and I trimmed most of the fat cap off and then scored it.

I mixed up the ingredients for the marinate and poured it over the pork on one side and then the other.

I covered it with foil and let it rest in the fridge overnight. In the morning I started prepping the banana leaves to get them more pliable by heating them up in the oven. I place 2 sheets of wide aluminum foil in opposite directions. On top of this I place 2 sheets of parchment paper in the opposite directions of the foil. And now I place on some banana leaves. I overlap all the joints by a good 3 to 4 inches and alternate the direction of the leaves to try and minimize leakage.

Now I can wrap up the pork shoulder in the banana leaves and try with butcher’s twine. (Note: This is much harder than you’d think. Try to have someone there to help try the knots in the twine.)

Then parchment paper and finally the aluminum foil. (Wow! I could work in the shipping department. )

OK I now light start up the kamado with a full load of lump and set it up for indirect cooking. Once it gets up to 325 I put on the Cochinita Pibil package. Let it get up to 350.

Let it cook for 4 to 5 hours. In the meantime I make up some Roasted Tomatillo Pasilla Salsa. Ingredients:

Re-hydrating the Pasilla peppers.

Since my Primo is occupied I used my Weber to grill the veggies.

Everyone into the pool and blended. Oh yeah!

While I’m waiting I made up some Pickled Red Onion, some fresh tortillas and some guacamole.

I then made up some Tostones. I took everything outside and heated up my C.I. skillet, on medium heat, with approximately a 1/3” of grape seed oil. I cut the plantain into approximate 1” pieces.

Placed in the skillet and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

Flip and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove and place on a paper towel. Now they make contraptions just for this but I didn’t have one so I improvised with a small bowl and a smaller glass.

Place a section into the bowl and push down until you’ve smashed it and created a little pocket.

Now back into the oil for a second frying. About a minute per side.

Remove and place on a paper towel until cool enough to handle. Now you can eat as is or place stuff in the pocket making them into appetizers.

Was able to relax a little and then checked the I.T. of the meat.

Yes! Now I carefully unwrap my package.

And transfer it to an aluminum pan and continue unwrapping. IT WAS JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS!

Fish out all the banana leaves and the bone and pull the meat. It was literally so tender that I could’ve just stirred it with a spoon and it would’ve fallen apart.

Here it is plated in some tacos with the pickled red onion and some queso fresco. For the appetizers I have some Tostones filled with Mango Habanero Salsa and guacamole, radishes and guacamole and chips.

And here is the money shot below.

Off the charts goodness!

The entire cook threads can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=207943

& here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=207940

Last edited by DerHusker; 04-06-2015 at 12:26 PM..
DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Default Please accept this as my entry into the "Appetizer and Entree` Duo" Throwdown

A prime rib eye steak from Double R Ranch as the entree` with Grilled Creole Prawns as the App.
The prawns;

The Chop;

A couple cook shots;

Please use the following as my entry shot

It was absolutely delicious!!

Here is the full cook thread;
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=208162

Thanks for looking.

Keep on Qing all!

KC
Old 04-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Hey PEEPS, I would like to change my entry pic to the following;

Any problem with that?

Thanks,

KC
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

This is my official return, and entry into this Throwdown.

For dinner tonight, we will be having a few southern staples. For an appetizer, we have Fried Green Tomatoes with bacon biscuits, and for our entree, BBQ sauced Shrimp and Grits.

Sliced the green tomatoes and fried them in a pan of canola oil.

Grilled the biscuits and had the bacon on the side burner.

Your appetizers are served.

Grilled the shrimp on my asparagus skewers, while the wifey whipped up some white cheddar grits inside.

The extra bacon went into the mix, and drizzled on top some spicy BBQ sauce. (money shot)

I'm sure a lot of kitchens looked like this after the cooks for this throwdown, but here you go. The aftermath.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

CACK! Gotta submit a pic! C'mon.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
mchar69

I could go on and on about my cook.
And on and on. But I wont.
Pig shots filled with mushroom, apple, and cheeses..

Last edited by mchar69; 04-12-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
mchar69

Please accept this as my entry
into the throwdown
it's
Venison sirloin fajitas - w/
'mushroom pig shot ' apps.

My voting pic please.

Last edited by mchar69; 04-12-2015 at 11:12 PM..
Old 04-13-2015, 04:11 AM   #9
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

My official entry to the " Appetizer & Entee Duo" Throwdown.

BBQ'D Sausage and Lamb Chops.

It was a great evening for the OTG

My offical entry and polling pic.

Served with pan fried new potatoes and endive and watercress salad. Thanks for lookin!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Those chops look especially good there CA.

KC
Old 04-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
CACK! Gotta submit a pic! C'mon.
... I did? Next to last picture says "(money shot)"
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
Shagdog

Quote:
Photos of each must be featured in the entry thread, and must be in the entry photo.

Cack, do you have a photo with both the app and entree in it together?

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
Cack, do you have a photo with both the app and entree in it together?
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
I don't. I missed that part. A DQ is fine. I haven't had some ice cream in a while anyway
Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Shagdog

That's a wrap, folks. Poll coming shortly!

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
That's a wrap, folks. Poll coming shortly!
You, sir, erect a MIGHTY FINE poll!

Thanks for covering for me!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote