• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PBC vs WSM

I placed my order for a PBC yesterday and it has already shipped. Estimated arrival is 1/22, and that's with the free shipping option. So far I'm very happy with the customer service.

I'm looking forward to my first test cook next week!

Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?

You know someone is going to test this. :-D

Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?

Here are two reviews stating the the meat closest to the fire gets more done and dry, even inedible according to one.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2319606&postcount=229

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2319792&postcount=233

You know someone is going to test this. :-D
Honestly I can't imagine why the radiant heat wouldn't affect the meat closest to the fire, but I have never tried one of these cookers either so I have no direct experience to draw from. I can tell you exactly what the effects of direct line of sight from fire to meat are in a WSM without a water pan in it, and they are significant enough to have to compensate for (i.e. flipping or turning).
Here are two reviews stating the the meat closest to the fire gets more done and dry, even inedible according to one.

In all fairness, the one that said they were partly inedible also said they were overcooked. Maybe it's different when a rack is in at the right time and temp to be done properly in the middle? IDK. Regardless, I'm having a hard time seeing how the radiant heat doesn't enter into it.

Edit: I've seen some "spirited" opinions and discussion on the merits of this cooker but I'd like to keep this cordial, factual and informative. Thanks in advance.

Where's the "Fall of the bone" achievement...

In all fairness, I feel compelled to add something here. To begin, the wife and I have a method (30 minutes on each side on high heat, on the grill, three hours wrapped in the oven at 375) that gives us "Juicy, fall of the bone" ribs.

As I watched the end of the video, I feel that I did not see "Fall of the bone, juicy ribs". As he was pulling the bones apart, things looked somewhat dry, and not nearly fall of the bone tenderness.

The wife and I viewed the end of the video over and over, and agree. "Fall off the bone" achievement in the barrel would result in the meat in the coals.

OR, is the "fall of the bone" achievement just a deep south thing.....

:-o :-o :-o

Honestly I can't imagine why the radiant heat wouldn't affect the meat closest to the fire, but I have never tried one of these cookers either so I have no direct experience to draw from. I can tell you exactly what the effects of direct line of sight form fire to meat are in a WSM without a water pan in it, and they are significant enough to have to compensate for.

In all fairness, the one that said they were partly inedible also said they were overcooked. Maybe it's different when a rack is in at the right time and temp to be done properly in the middle? IDK. Regardless, I'm having a hard time seeing how the radiant heat doesn't enter into it.

I'm with you. I think the same way. The good thing is, with so many people from the forum buying and trying it, we should get lots more firsthand info on whether it's a factor or not or how much of a factor it is. Lots of other variables to consider like coal set up, when you put the lid on and what temp the coals are at that very point, but even then once those variables settle, you still have hotter temps closer to the basket. Does it come with a set of instructions for start up? Even in a regular UDS with multiple grates, you see higher temps and faster cooking times on the lower grate, not drastic but there is a difference. Closer to the coals and you'd almost be low temp grilling it would seem.

is the "fall of the bone" achievement just a deep south thing...
I think you will find that many on this forum define perfectly cooked ribs similar to how a trained comp judge would, and that is that a bite should come off the bone cleanly, with a slight tug. All the meat coming off with that one bite would indicate that the ribs were overdone. Not saying it's right or wrong, or that it means anything in your back yard, but that's the reaction you're going to get to the phrase "fall off the bone."

I've got an 18" WSM on my back patio that I haven't touched since 2009. Do
you want to come get it? :razz:

John
Thanks for the offer but the 4000 miles round trip kind of kills the idea. I'm sure others closer would take you up on the offer.

I think you will find that many on this forum define perfectly cooked ribs similar to how a trained comp judge would, and that is that a bite should come off the bone cleanly, with a slight tug. All the meat coming off with that one bite would indicate that the ribs were overdone. Not saying it's right or wrong, or that it means anything in your back yard, but that's the reaction you're going to get to the phrase "fall off the bone."

Yeah, I'm from Ms, and the only time I ever hear "fall of the bone" is during BBQ restaurant commercials. There's a local BBQ joint owned by a man named Shack. At the end of the commercial, a lady standing outside the place says "you don't need no teeth to eat Mr Shacks meat"! :mrgreen:

Seriously though if my ribs are falling off the bone, I'm not happy! I'm chapped, because it means I wasn't paying attention and over cooked'em.

Thanks for the offer but the 4000 miles round trip kind of kills the idea. I'm sure others closer would take you up on the offer.

Oh come on! Wheres your sense of adventure? :biggrin1:

I ordered mine yesterday and Noah called me today to thank me for the order and ask if I had any questions. I would say thats a start to some pretty good customer service. I can't imagine that it is a bad cooker and for $225 I am willing to roll the dice. I'm pretty confident it will be a great chicken cooker. When it arrives I will give you an honest opinion on how it cooks ribs and brisket. You can tell by my signature that I ain't smoker poor.

Oh come on! Wheres your sense of adventure? :biggrin1:
So far my two kettles handle all my needs. I'm not greedy. Plus if he needs to get rid of it, someone else can get there quicker.

Pbc

Yeah, I'm not a rich person, so I'm hesitant. If I was making 90k a year, I would probably not hesitate to pull the trigger.

No the ribs do not burn on the ends. Don,t ask why but they don,t. The ribs are not fall off the bone but I suppose you could wrap and put back on the grate and get their, not sure why you would want to. This thing puts out some good chicken and ribs, not had a chance to try anything else yet. The family thinks the food is better tasting than on the egg or Mak 2 and I have to agree. Don,t get to caught up in the hype, but if you want another toy and can afford it, this thing is the bomb.

If someone was interested, is the $225 deal still valid?

I ordered mine yesterday and Noah called me today to thank me for the order and ask if I had any questions. I would say thats a start to some pretty good customer service. I can't imagine that it is a bad cooker and for $225 I am willing to roll the dice. I'm pretty confident it will be a great chicken cooker. When it arrives I will give you an honest opinion on how it cooks ribs and brisket. You can tell by my signature that I ain't smoker poor.

I can confirm that it cranks out some of the best chicken I have ever made. I haven't had a chance to cook anything else on it, but I'm sure it will be fantastic. All for $225. I'm sure I could build a UDS for less money, but I don't have the time, nor the inclination so that price is hard to beat for the quality this thing kicks out.

Another positive that is being missed, is that this thing is hot and ready to cook in 20 minutes. I can come home from work, fire it up, and have dinner on the table by 7 o'clock. My big smoker would be just getting warmed up!

Back