Best way to do Brisket?

H

hydramax

Okay, I finally broke down and bought a brisket. Never wanted to do one cause it didn't look appetizing to me. Wife found this huge chunk of meat so now I gotta cook it.Whats everybody's favorite brisket technique? Brine or not? How long smoked? Best wood? Never tried but now I must. Any help will be appreciated.Thanks for the responses beforehand!

I like to trim it then rub it and then smoke it at 225-250 until 195-200F internal. Then let it take a nap as long as you can wait. Slice it accross the grain.

My thrown together rub.

1/2 C Brown Sugar
Toss in some of the following more if you really like it.
Garlic powder
Chilli powder
Onion powder
Peprika
Lawerys season salt
Pepper (fresh ground)

I mean, use the search feature. It will give you reading material for days.

I apologize hydramax. My Pissy side came out again.

Anyhow. Black pepper and salt for a simple rub. jacob does a killer brisket. Give him a PM, I'm sure he'd help.

I see you have a beer and a star.
If you use the search function which you should be able to type in brisket.
There is a huge amount of information on brisket preparation and information as how to cook them.
Good luck and let us know how yours turned out.

I cook brisket flats all the time here as its very difficult to find whole packer briskets in Mid-Michigan.

Please ignore Tx Chutte as he must be having a bad nite.

Don't even trim the fat cap. Put some olive oil or mustard all over it, apply rub liberally and then go get your pit going. I like pecan wood and smoke that bad boy slow and low at around 225 for as long as it takes for it to hit 195 internally. It can handle plenty of smoke.
Foiling is up to you. Sometimes I foil sometimes I don't. Let it rest then slice across the grain and enjoy beef the way it's meant to be.

I also say do a search, by the time you finish reading all the stuff that brisket will be nicely dry aged!:-D

I've read using the search and thats where the problem lies. So many damn ways to do it it all gets muddled after awhile.Just wanted a sure fire way thats guaranteed to work and not ruin a chunk of meat.SSSSOOOORRRYYYY, want ask that again!!!!!!!!!!!!

But since this is your first brisket, and since it didn't look appetizing to you, and since you WANT your wife to let you have it again... I would strongly suggest NOT smoking it.

Waiting for gasps...

In my book, yet to be published of course, (joke if ya want) there is a chapter about your first brisket. I suggest doing the first brisket in foil in the oven for a reason... an educational one.

When you eat it you will love it. But this way is like learnin to draw before you learn how to sculpt.

You should have what they call a TEMPLATE IN YOUR MIND of what you want to target for as far as juiciness and texture. THEN START JACKING WITH FIRES, WOOD, RUBS, INJECTIONS :-?, FAT UP, FAT DOWN, FLIP, NO FLIP, SPLIT, NO SPLIT, REST NO REST....

Just so its official... I am a guy that BBQ's in a 1000 lbs smoker up to 150 lbs of brisket a week with nothing but wood. This is the first way you should fix your first brisket.

<---- hiding cuz I know people are gonna get mad at me.

I've read using the search and thats where the problem lies. So many damn ways to do it it all gets muddled after awhile.Just wanted a sure fire way thats guaranteed to work and not ruin a chunk of meat.SSSSOOOORRRYYYY, want ask that again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hydra... no no no... we don;t want ya mad. PM me if you want man. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

There are no guarantees, but you have a very good cooker in your WSM. Figure out how you want to do it and fire up the WSM. If you are really worried then keep it simple at first. Salt and pepper, or Montreal Steak Seasoning both taste great on brisket. It will be fine. You won't ruin it. It may not be perfect, but it will be good and you will want more.

Relas... Take deep, calming breaths... Repeat after me...

It's only a brisket...

It's only a brisket...

It's only a briksket...

:biggrin:

Relas... Take deep, calming breaths... Repeat after me...

It's only a brisket...

It's only a brisket...

It's only a brisket...

:biggrin:

Closing eyes... its only a brisket

Its ONLY a Brisket?

Its Only a brisket?????:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed

lol

I've done five or six briskets, did each one different, loved each! This weekend going to do one simple salt and pepper only. Fat side up.

hydramax -

barbefunkoramaque's coaching is on the money:

"You should have what they call a TEMPLATE IN YOUR MIND of what you want to target for as far as juiciness and texture. THEN START JACKING WITH FIRES, WOOD, RUBS, INJECTIONS :-?, FAT UP, FAT DOWN, FLIP, NO FLIP, SPLIT, NO SPLIT, REST NO REST...."

Back