• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

uds long burns?

C

Chavo27

SO I've had about 6 successful "smokes" with my new CRUDE drum
I've found that it doesn't take much charcoal to get the job done..

I've also found that it doesn't take much wood either!

You guys that smoke for 6-10 hours how the hell do you keep the meat from turning to jerky?

I did a turkey 2 weeks ago and it took 4 maybe 5 hours..

I used 12lb of charcoal and some apple wood

it was still buring 24hours later

I did the stlouis style ribs and tossed the trim on there and well and well the trim turned to jerky in no longer than 3-4 hours.. It's holding at 230-250 too...

Check your thermo.

No jerky in my drums EVER.

On edit....ribs WOULD be like jerky after 3 or 4 hrs. Search the 3-2-1 method for ribs.
Your undercooking them.

Bad thermo + air leaks. Remember add 30 degrees to thermometer for center grate temp.

The three previous post are from the three resident experts on drums around here. 10 hours isn't very long for a drum, I had a briskie that just wouldn't cross the plasteau, so 17 hours is what it took. Double check thermos. Heat should be measured from the center of the grate.

Calibrate your thermometer in some boiling water...it should read around 212 Degrees. Run it low...run it slow...225-250...your uds will cook faster with direct cooking over the coals. I use a heat deflector above the fire basket in the form of a large clay pot base. :p

IMG_6264.jpg

Get a turkey fryer thermometer they woork great. I actually have set at my grill height to amke sure its acurate.

If I want to do a long cook I fire up the Egg or WSM!

Calibrate your thermometer in some boiling water...it should read around 212 Degrees. Run it low...run it slow...225-250...your uds will cook faster with direct cooking over the coals. I use a heat deflector above the fire basket in the form of a large clay pot base. :p

IMG_6264.jpg

Would putting water in that help or hurt anything??

I use a lid with the eight holes around the rim. I find that my center grate temp is usually 30 - 40 degrees hotter than the pit thermo on the side.

It usually takes me 4 - 5 hours to do ribs. Never use foil just check often after 3 hours at around 210 on the side thermo.

I try to run my UDS at 210 -230 on the side thermo. I get fatties in 2 - 3 hours, bratwurst and Italian sausage at 1 1/2 hours.

Pork butts for pulling anywhere from 10 - 18 hours.

The only jerky I have made was a brisket when I fell asleep and it went 4 or 5 hours longer than I intended.

Is your cooking grate at least 24 inches from the fire grate?

Bad thermo + air leaks. Remember add 30 degrees to thermometer for center grate temp.

yes I know I have air leaks I use'n a baord over the top for the lid. I didn't work to bad the first time.. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ect.. It's pretty warped now I didn't know you had to add 30degrees to it.. I'm always thinking I'm getting it to hot...

I use a lid with the eight holes around the rim. I find that my center grate temp is usually 30 - 40 degrees hotter than the pit thermo on the side.

It usually takes me 4 - 5 hours to do ribs. Never use foil just check often after 3 hours at around 210 on the side thermo.

I try to run my UDS at 210 -230 on the side thermo. I get fatties in 2 - 3 hours, bratwurst and Italian sausage at 1 1/2 hours.

Pork butts for pulling anywhere from 10 - 18 hours.

The only jerky I have made was a brisket when I fell asleep and it went 4 or 5 hours longer than I intended.

Is your cooking grate at least 24 inches from the fire grate?
my cooking grate is 6 inch from the top of the barrel and the fire ring is 3 from the bottom

I think you've got all the solutions you could possibly need here. Sounds like you've got a little bit of work, but don't give up. Once you get the UDS dialed in and know how to control the temp it will work like a charm.

I can get 12 to 15 hour burns on mine without any problem.

Get a therm w/probe (like maverick) and attach at center grate height and calibrate your therometer to that vs actual 212 boiling water. Also clean your therm probe often (I do every smoke at end) as the build up will cause you false readings (Reads lower than actusal). I simply use extra fine sand paper and the Tip is where the sensor is located.

One last thing - I have read many post about cheap themometers. Heat control is the absolute critical factor in Que, so don't go cheap on temp measuring devices Bro. You get what you pay for, and pay for what you get. I figure on ruined cook in meat will buy me the best either Dial or Digital Temometer, so I do not buy cheap in this area.

Good Luck.

Back