Sliced Pork

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anybody turned in just sliced pork for an entry at a comp? And how did it score?
Personnal I like sliced pork over pulled so was thinking of turning in just what I like.

Any thoughts or pics?

It can and has been done. Don't know of the results though.

I'm hoping David and Randy give us a good slice pork demonstration tomorrow at the ISU Meat Lab class.

Ray, Tom and I are no pros, this being only our second year, but halfway through last year I started adding sliced and shredded to the box without changing recipe, all scores went up. I know a few others have gone to just slices, and had increases in scores as well. I also know when I have been judging that the body language you can read is that it is welcomed.....give it a shot, you have nothing to loose (except GC :p)

Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks at the Bash, Ill grab my book of box shots and scores and show you....

I have turned in sliced one time before and it actually scored higher than out shredded had at that time. But the only reason we turned in sliced was because the butt wouldn't pull so we had to go with sliced. I have been thinking about doing both since I already cook two butts I will cook one to a lower temp say 180 and the other one to a higher temp for pulling. I don't think that the variety can hurt as long as they are equally flavorful and tender.

Has anybody turned in just sliced pork for an entry at a comp? And how did it score?
Personnal I like sliced pork over pulled so was thinking of turning in just what I like.

Any thoughts or pics?

We usually turn in a combination of pulled and sliced. We've been focusing on slicing the money muscle lately but have had success using different types of slices.

The attached pic was an entry that took 1st in a 48 team KCBS contest last year.

Attachments

• pork_large.jpg
    pork_large.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so what's the key here to get slices? What temp are we pulling? Do I need a sharper knife? Can I wink twice like Bewitched and it automatical slices? Need help.

Lee is our resident pork chef and cooked and prepared the entry in the pic above so he may have some additional thoughts.

But when doing slices like those pictured we generally pull the butt off somewhere around 180F. Cook it much more than that and those slices won't hold together. We use a roast slicer for the cutting. I think the slices pictured were done with a $3 12" serrated blade from a restaraunt supply company.

When doing sliced money muscle, I cook it partially separated from the butt until the butt reaches our normal pulling temps (195-205). They sometimes fall apart at that temp but I usually cook 4 of them so coming up with 6 slices isn't too hard. The entry below came in 16th out of 42 teams but somehow I entirely missed the layer of fat and I think that may have hurt.

pork.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly I want sliced pork for lunch. Paul, do you deliver within OP?

OK, so what's the key here to get slices? What temp are we pulling? Do I need a sharper knife? Can I wink twice like Bewitched and it automatical slices? Need help.

Let the meat cool down a bit before slicing and use an electric knife.

When doing slice money muscle, I cook it partially separated from the butt until the butt reaches our normal pulling temps (195-205). ....

Do you really separate the meat? According to the KCBS rules:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.

I am just trying to understand and not trying to second guess.

Thanks,
Ray

Do you really separate the meat? According to the KCBS rules:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.

I am just trying to understand and not trying to second guess.

Thanks,

Ray

Partially separated but still attached (see pic below). If you have bark and a smoke ring all the way around the slice, it will be DQ'd.

4.jpg

And as a side note, I know of several teams that butterfly the entire butt so they cook quicker and get more bark. As long as you can pick the roast up in one piece it is not considered to have been parted.

Where exactly is the "money muscle"? (Rmember this is comp. No "in my pants" jokes.)

Thanks for all the pics Pickled Pig. Those are some great looking boxes.
I need to make me some sliced pork now.

How well does the rest pull when you take it off at 180? or do you cook that to 190-195? is that legal?

Cooked 3 pork butts for the office earlier in the week. Wish I had tried finding the money muscle and slicing it. :-D Oh well.......next time

How well does the rest pull when you take it off at 180? or do you cook that to 190-195? is that legal?

We slice the entire butt when we pull at 180F. We usually cook 4 butts for a contest and have plenty to pull from if doing this. BTW, boneless butts work best for slicing early.

Back